Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have Polycom VVX 450 VOIP desk phones in our offices now and I am wondering if they would be something I can repurpose for taking computer phone calls. So ideally, I would like to be able to setup the phone to do the following:

1. Connect the phone to the computer with a USB cable.

2. Set my computer to use my phone as the mic/speaker for input/output

3. Audio input/output would now come out of the speaker on the phone when the handset is down, and then if the handset were picked up, then input/output would go through the handset.

Is doing this possible? I have found devices such as USB phones online that cover the handset portion, but there is no speaker to go with it so that audio could be heard when a call comes in. I figured using the VVX 450 to do what am I after here would be perfect if it can be used in this manner. Our staff does not like the idea of having to wear a headset all day to take calls from the computer, so I was hoping to find a solution such as this. Is this possible? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got it to work! Where I was messing up was I hooked the phone up to the PC using a USB cable as I was thinking it plugged into the USB port on the phone. It took me reading your comment a few times to realize I needed to hook it up to the PC using an ethernet cable to connect it to the PC port on the phone.

I think the thought of needing to use a USB cable to connect it to the PC came from the fact that the icon for the Poly Audio Connector app on the PC is what I believe is the standard icon used for USB (I Googled USB icon to double check that, and that icon does in fact come up in many of the search results).

Anyhow, I am very happy that I will be able to set this phone up to work on the PC as I wanted. Thank you very much Steffen for your help on making this happen!!

Jesse

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @jstraete ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Please check the FAQ here:

May 05, 2021 Question: Can I use a Poly VVX phone running UC Software as a Speaker Phone

Resolution: Since UC Software 6.4.0 the Poly Computer audio Connector => here <= can be used

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hey Steffen,

It looks like the information you provided would be exactly what I would need. I reached out to Comcast support as our VOIP phones are provided through them, and was told that they do not support that software at this time. I contacted an engineer for them that has helped me out a bunch on the phone setup who confirmed that as well. So, I let him know that I hope that changes in the future as I would greatly appreciate having that functionality as it does not appear I can apply that update without their assistance on it.

Thank you very much for your input on this and taking the time to follow up here. Much appreciated!

Thanks,

Jesse

HP Recommended

I'm hoping to get some additional help here as this is about an 8-month old thread, but I never did get a solution here and have given up on Comcast support.

I bought a new Poly VVX 450 phone that is not provisioned. I am hoping to set this phone up as a computer speakphone as initially stated, and have done the following steps thus far:

- I have updated the software on it to version 6.4.5.1210

- I have downloaded the Poly Audio Connector app on my PC and show it is currently running.

- I have logged into the web browser interface and went to Preferences -> Additional Preferences and checked "Enable Computer Audio PC Pairing" and set the pairing mode to Auto.

- I can go to the Main Menu on the phone and see option 4 Audio Connector, which shows Pairing Mode is set to Auto, and Pairing Status is set to Not Paired.

What further steps do I need to take in order to pair my phone to my PC? The Poly Audio Connector app on the PC has no UI from what I can tell to be able to interact with a program to do any kind of pairing with the phone like I was expecting, and instead seems to just be a script running in the background on the PC. I feel like I am close to getting what I am hoping to achieve here and am hoping someone can help get me across the finish line here!

HP Recommended

Hello @jstraete 

as long as the PC is connected to the PC port of the phone the only reason could be a firewall on the PC.

There is a BToE FAQ section in the Skype section as the Audio Connector is similar to BToE

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I got it to work! Where I was messing up was I hooked the phone up to the PC using a USB cable as I was thinking it plugged into the USB port on the phone. It took me reading your comment a few times to realize I needed to hook it up to the PC using an ethernet cable to connect it to the PC port on the phone.

I think the thought of needing to use a USB cable to connect it to the PC came from the fact that the icon for the Poly Audio Connector app on the PC is what I believe is the standard icon used for USB (I Googled USB icon to double check that, and that icon does in fact come up in many of the search results).

Anyhow, I am very happy that I will be able to set this phone up to work on the PC as I wanted. Thank you very much Steffen for your help on making this happen!!

Jesse

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.