Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Dear Polycom community.

I have an issue registering the hostname for a VVX400, software version - 5.4.2.2834

I have found the appropriate setting seen below;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!-- Generated device.cfg Configuration File -->
<polycomConfig xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="polycomConfig.xsd">
<device device.baseProfile="" device.set="1">
<device.host device.host.hostname.set="1" device.host.hostname="Pol_12349*299_"> </device.host>
<device.sntp device.sntp.gmtOffset="" device.sntp.serverName="0.uk.pool.ntp.org">
<device.sntp.gmtOffset device.sntp.gmtOffset.set="0">
</device.sntp.gmtOffset>
<device.sntp.serverName device.sntp.serverName.set="1">
</device.sntp.serverName>
</device.sntp>
<device.auth device.auth.localAdminPassword="joejo1" device.auth.localUserPassword="">
<device.auth.localAdminPassword device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="1">
</device.auth.localAdminPassword>
<device.auth.localUserPassword device.auth.localUserPassword.set="0">
</device.auth.localUserPassword>
</device.auth>
<device.prov device.prov.clinkEnabled="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateCredentialType="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateDomain="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateExtension="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdatePassword="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdatePin="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateUser="" device.prov.maxRedunServers="" device.prov.password="" device.prov.password.set="0" device.prov.redunAttemptLimit="" device.prov.redunInterAttemptDelay="" device.prov.serverName="http://192.168.1.130:8080/Polycom" device.prov.serverType="2" device.prov.tagSerialNo="0" device.prov.user="" device.prov.user.set="0" device.prov.ztpEnabled="">
<device.prov.upgradeServer device.prov.upgradeServer="**validURL**" device.prov.upgradeServer.set="1">
</device.prov.upgradeServer>
</device.prov>
</device>

I have also searched the questions already, and found => this <=, but it didn't help.

I have tried changing the way I present the hostname format, but haven't been successful. I have downloaded the config files for this phone but have not seen the parameters saved there. As seen below;

<device device.baseProfile="" device.set="1" device.host.hostname.set="1" device.host.hostname="Pol_12349*299_"/>

Can anyone inform me as to what to try next? Or can you not provision this setting?

Many thanks, Joe.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello joethejones,

looking at your example a Star / * is not a valid character.

RFC 1035 states:

• 2.3.1. Preferred name syntax
    They must start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior characters only letters, digits , and hyphen . There are also some
    restrictions on the length. Labels must be 63 characters or less.

Using:

<device device.set="1" device.hostname.set="1" device.hostname="Pol_12349299_" />

Imported via the Web Interface (An example File packd as a ZIP is attached):

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello joethejones,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

How do you load this configuration?

Are you importing a config file or are you loading this from a provisioning server?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello joethejones,

looking at your example a Star / * is not a valid character.

RFC 1035 states:

• 2.3.1. Preferred name syntax
    They must start with a letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior characters only letters, digits , and hyphen . There are also some
    restrictions on the length. Labels must be 63 characters or less.

Using:

<device device.set="1" device.hostname.set="1" device.hostname="Pol_12349299_" />

Imported via the Web Interface (An example File packd as a ZIP is attached):

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Ah yes, 

That's fantastic. Thank you for that.

Joe

HP Recommended

Is this the same procedure for a Polycom VVX410 Deskphone as well?

HP Recommended

Hello @Matt Russell

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently used UC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Must Read First" and is the absolute minimum requirement every new post should include. .

In addition providing us with this basic information gives Polycom an idea what Software Versions are used in the field and avoids wasting time trying to troubleshoot issues which have already been addressed.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

To answer your actual question : YES

Jan 25, 2015 Question: Why do most FAQ posts not mention the VVX101, 150, 201, 250, 301, 311, 350, 401, 411, 450, 501, 601, Polycom Trio 8800 or Trio 8500, VVX D60 or CX5500?

ResolutionMost FAQ posts have been written before these new phones had been introduced. Please check the Admin Guide and/or Release notes for compatibility issues.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for your reply, I can cofnrim that my UC version number is: 4.1.7.1428. Please advise how to set a hostname in the features .cfg file to register in DNS?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hello @Matt Russell,

first of all UC Software 4.1.7 is no longer supported. A current software is UC Software 5.8.0

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

In addition

Mar 08, 2013 Question: Where can I download configuration files from or create these myself?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.