Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have received 2x Poly Studios in the last month - both out of the box have a pulsing yellow light after plugging into and then connecting to a computer.

I launch Poly Lens and the device is not detected. I launch Poly Companion and it says there is a device in DFU mode. I install the software (1.5), all looks well, but after the software update is done....back to pulsing yellow light. I downloaded and installed 1.4 and then the device will at least show up in Poly Lens. I then update to the latest software (2.1 at this time) and it will work on a computer in Teams/Zoom/etc.

That process worked on one of them.....but this latest one I am going through the second attempt to get this to work. It always goes to pulsing yellow light. This is right out of the box!

What am I doing wrong here? I have used these over the last 3-4 years and they used to just plug in and work. Now I'm having to spend way more time than I should to get something so simple to work.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @iscs-mvalpreda 

Welcome to the Poly community.

Check if there is a Poly Studio is running in the services on the PC. We have seen this trigger updates and as the download and update can take a while people disconnect the Unit and break it and place it into DFU mode. This is not using Companion or the Lens App and is a windows service that triggers a windows update.

Its called PolyStudioWindowsUpdateService.exe and is set to start automatically

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Appreciate the reply, but Poly Lens does not detect the device out of the box - the device not even plugged into USB is pulsing yellow. I have to use Poly Companion....downgrade the firmware to 1.4, then I can use Poly Lens to upgrade to 2.1.

It's 30-40 minutes of extra nonsense just to get this working. I'm doing an sanity check to make sure I am not doing something silly.....but I guess it's just a QA issue.

HP Recommended

I've had to run the same fix you performed above too. Sometimes a simple reboot while its connected, wait a bit, and itll install and work also. If that doesnt work, like your 2nd studio, i always factory reset then try again and i havent had that, not work.

HP Recommended

Third Poly Studio....same exact nonsense. Right out of the box - pulsing yellow light. Poly Lens does not detect the device. Have to use Polycom Companion to drop from the shipping firmware (1.5) to 1.4, then the device will show up in Poly Lens. After that I can do a proper setup in Poly Lens, then upgrade to 2.1.

Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

HP Recommended

Hello @iscs-mvalpreda ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

I appreciate your experience but you never answered my question/comment

Does the system where you install the Poly Studio USB have the PolyStudioWindowsUpdateService.exe running?

I did not ask for Lens or for the companion app. If yes please stop it in the services. For further help please check the below.

The best and quickest way forward is to contact our Support organization as the community is run by volunteers only.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

After Lens is installed, yes...PolyStudioWindowsUpdateService.exe is running. I'm sure that is expected behavior.

Understand that OUT OF THE BOX THE CAMERA DOES NOT WORK. It's in DFU mode and I have to install firmware 1.4 with Polycom Companion after killing all the Lens processes to get the camera to work. I then can run Poly Lens to upgrade to 2.1 and it will stay stable. It's an extra 30-45 minutes to get the Studio working when it should work out of the box....and maybe need a firmware update with ONE piece of software.

I called your tech support and they just want to replace the camera. There is a lack of training on the Poly side if I was able to get it working and your tech support was not. There's also a lack of QC on the software side if I have to use two different pieces of software to get this device to work.

If I had another option for an all-in-one camera/speaker/mic....I would buy it.

HP Recommended

Hello @iscs-mvalpreda ,

The Lens Desktop app has nothing to do with the PolyStudioWindowsUpdateService.exe as this is a Microsoft Service.

What I am trying to get to is Windows is upgrading/downgrading/getting the Poly Studio into a state where it updates the software and somehow somebody interrupts this and has the Poly Studio in DFU mode.

The Team developing the Companion app is no longer active and the Poly Lens Team took over the deployment of software to any current only product.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

I have had the same experience with the Studio, but I can't get them to update to 2.1 at all. I have 30 to provision and I don't know what to do about updating the firmware. 

HP Recommended

Hello @RickyBobby ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

The best and quickest way forward is to contact our Support organization as the community is run by volunteers only.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.