Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

using 5.1.1 on vvx500 phones, I now notice a diagnostic warning that the Default Amin password is being used.  I've looked at the admin guides, and don't see where there was a change affecting this.  Curious if others have seen this, and if they found a workaround to keep this warning from being used.

From a Security standpoint, I think this announces to the world that they should go out and research what the default password is so they can look at their phone.  Probably not ideal.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

So, I found some code for changing the password - looks like this -

<device device.set="1">
  <device.auth device.auth.localAdminPassword="your_admin_pwd" device.auth.localUserPassword="your_user_pwd">
    <device.auth.localAdminPassword device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="1">
    </device.auth.localAdminPassword>
    <device.auth.localUserPassword device.auth.localUserPassword.set="1">
    </device.auth.localUserPassword>
  </device.auth>
</device>

However, when I set the password to 789, the warning goes away, but the password doesn't work on the phone or the web interface.  😞  Thinking the variables may have changed after 3.3.   Digging.....
HP Recommended

Okay, found the solution in the FAQ.  This link solves this warning issue -

http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/FAQ-What-is-the-Standard-Username-and-Password-for-a-Polycom/td...

HP Recommended

We just ran into this issue with a customer as well. 

As to why Polycom thinks it's a good idea to notify the end users that the IT staff is using the default password is beyond me. This 'feature' needs to be removed in the next GA release.

HP Recommended

Hello cwebb,

we have been asked by our Partner Microsoft to place this warning if the phone is in LYNC mode.

An End User should never need to access the Web Interface anyway.

The change is listed in the Release notes

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

This warning display is a bad idea.

HP Recommended

The solution post above is not a solution to the warning.  It just changes the password so the warning isn't flagged as true.  

HP Recommended

Hello Jarmentrout,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The change that is being discussed in this topic is documented in the release notes and within the community FAQ.

It only appears when the phone is in LYNC mode and had been requested by our partner Microsoft.

From a security perspective it is advisable to change the password from the publicly well known to a secure password.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

SteffenBaierUK,

How do I get the phone out of LYNC mode, and is there a way to disable LYNC mode by default?

HP Recommended
Hello

Only phones ordered as a LYNC SKU will be automatically in LYNC mode. The base profile can be set via Device.set in configuration parameters or via the web interface

Replied via a mobile device

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.