Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Approx 20 phones have been in production for over a year and 2 days ago began having issues initially reported that the "idle" soft key "pickup" stopped working.

All phones in the office use the "pickup" softkey to answer the main line.  They can dial the code manually *8 after lifting the handset and it works to answer the call, however they cannot transfer or park the call.  Looking further into the issue, the touch displays do work for menu access and one-touch/blf dialing but not for any live call features.

Since the transfer feature requires placing the call on hold and accessing dial tone, we have not found a manual work around for transferring calls so this is an urgent situation in the customers view.

-Phones have been rebooted

-Sip server has been rebooted

-POE switch has been rebooted

-Phones are running fw 5.2.0.8330 and I verfied the phone.cfg and web.cfg are identical on the provisioning server as the ones I have from backup over a year ago

-Customer has not added any new equipment to the network

-Provider has not pushed any firmware updates on either thier box (asterix based sip server) nor the phones

-We updated 1 phone to the latest 5.4.0.5841 and same result so it doesn't appear to be fixed by firmware

We did have reports of the customer manicly pressing the "pickup" button and they said after tapping 10+ times it would sometimes work.

Is it possible something is interfering with the touch screens?  Why would soft keys not work but other do work?  Is there some advice on logging that I could provide to help see what is going on?

Any help (and not responding with the typical open a ticket w/ polycom) is greatly appreciated.  I'm seeking help from the community as a member of the community and my customer purchased these phones from a provider that went out of business over a year ago so I have no access to polycom directly.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello pingram3541,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

As this is the official Polycom community moderated by Polycom employees I can only recommend you post a MAC address of one of the phones so we can look up the official reseller as they can enable you to purchase a PPI aka pay per incident support ticket.

This is similar to taking your car to an authorized garage once the official manufacturers warranty has expired.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

The one I updated to the latest firmware is 0004f286fbb7

If its helpful I am leaving to go on site right now the troubleshoot further.  The first test will be to swap out POE for a local power supply just to see if the POE switch is somehow causing this issue.  Definately a strange one and I was kind of hoping someone had run across this before.  Most posts I found online with similar symptoms never posted back what the problem was found to be nor the actual fix so hopefully once we get this nailed down I can at least set a gold standard for this particluar issue by at least keeping everyone informed.  Thanks for the prompt response btw.

HP Recommended

Hello pingram3541,

the unit was sold via Nextusa back in December 2014 so I can only recommend you contact them as they can open a ticket with Polycom support for you.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for looking that info up.  After spending about 2 hours trobleshooting I was able to figure out the problem is definately power related and hopefully not an issue with the phones being damaged permanently.

I first noticed that the issue was very consistent across all phones and that the mid-to-left lower and upper portions of the phone's touch displays were not responding to touch, or at least, very infrequently but the middle portion of the displays was more responsive.

I used the Menu > Settings > Status > Diagnostics > Test Hardware > Touch Screen Diagnostics to test several phones and below are some screen shots of what I discovered.  These tests reveal the result of me tapping the screens manually upwards of hundreds if not thousands of times revealing a clear demarcation of inaccessible screen real estate.  I have never seen this behavior before.

Test phone #1 - http://i.imgur.com/LNMOoqy.jpg

Test Phone #2 - http://i.imgur.com/JLLLlwK.jpg

At first I tried rebooting, updating firmware, rebooting the network switch of which powers the phones, changing power settings on the switch, removing other power devices introduced post install such as cameras and DVR equipment but nothing seemed to change this.  I also brought a test phone with me, another VVX500 model phone and it displayed the same behavior.

I finally moved the switch's power supply from the backup APC battery in the rack to an unprotected wall outlet and saw the first sign of change on the phone's behavior.  The problem was still present but I would say approx 50% better in that it now allowed me to access those areas of the touch display I could not access previously with my testing.  I moved to another outlet further in the corner behind the rack and found an unused APC battery under a desk and the result was slightly better and hopefully will allow the customer to use the phones with the occasional having to tap twice on a screen option.  Not 100% fixed but definitely much better, see screen shot:

Test Phone #1 - after power outlet change - http://i.imgur.com/YigtoaG.jpg

You can clearly see how I can now access almost all of the screen areas but still, some of these shown in the upper and lower left corners did require multiple taps to register.

Nothing appears to be physically damaged but I suspect the building power.  Maybe its a dirty ground, I'm not a power expert but its definitely the source of the problem because when I plug a power adapter into one of the APC batteries and pull the battery from the wall, the phone's display is 100% responsive and as soon as I plug it back into the wall, the display starts acting funny.

I hope this is helpful to anyone else who may come across this problem.  Still unsure if the switch needs replacement, the little test battery I had could not survive the switch and a phones boot time long enough for me to fully test it disconnected from building power.

HP Recommended

Just for clarity, this problem was never really solved.  The problem simply went away after a few days.  We replaced the POE switch and backup battery for good measure but the problem dissipated weeks before we did that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.