Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We just implemented hosted VVX 500 phones at our company.  The issue we are having is there are several phones in loud manufacturing areas where they can't hear the ringtones.  Is there any way to connect some sort of external speaker to these phones so that they can hear them better?  This is only needed for the ring, not on the call itself.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello tdavis,

Our solution for this is to use an Algo 8180 paging speaker in conjunction with the VVX phones, as it has both (loud) ringing and paging/PA capabilities. There's more details here:

http://www.algosolutions.com/pdf/brochures-polycom/Algo_8180_Polycom_MiniPlaybook.pdf

http://www.algosolutions.com/polycom

If you already have an amplifier/bell in the environment, then another option is to use a Snom PA-1 connected to the amplifier, or using the relay outputs to control a bell.

Regards.

HP Recommended

Thanks, that looks like it would do the trick, it's just fairly expensive.  Is there no way to plug in a speaker directly to these phones?  maybe USB speakers?  I know that if I plug in a USB headset it gives a ring tone through it.

HP Recommended

Hello tdavis

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I have never tested plugging a USB Speaker into a VVX and am not aware that this has been tested and therefore is supported.

You can try the extra Loud Ringer Wav File that comes with the downloaded software.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 25, 2011 Question: How can I change my Ringtone or Ring in a special manner for a certain incoming call?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi tdavis... I am having the same issue, did you find another workaround?

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I really really don't want to spend $300 on the 8180.  In my particular scenario (loud bar) An option without a speaker would work in my environment, so long as the option had a flashing light.  Is there any option to purchase just a flashing light?  

Please advise. 

Thanks, 

Austin

HP Recommended

Could something like this work?

https://jet.com/product/detail/47dad4f2ddd64a149c836395b255f139?jcmp=pla:ggl:gen_electronics_a2:comm...

It's a "Krown Amplified Telephone Ringer."

HP Recommended

Hello ,

The above is an analog device which you have no way connection to a VVX, SPIP or SSIP Polycom phone. This will not work.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Understood. 

Thank you for the feedback. 

Pardon my ignorance, but how the hell do you get this thing to work?  I purchased the 8180 and can't even get the blue light to come on.  Does that mean that I do not have PoE?  I thought PoE was intrinsic to Cat6 cables?  Our entire security system cameras are powered through PoE with a single Cat6 cable.

What the heck am I doing wrong?  

I'm sure I will figure it out or smash it against the wall before I hear back from anyone on this site....ha.  I'm not the most patient person. 

HP Recommended

<removed by the moderator. We cannot support solutions that involve opening our devices>

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.