Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am using a VVX 400 running 5.6.0.17325.

UC 5.6.0 Admin Guide mentions the following priorities in a phone's configuration:

1st. Phone GUI

2.nd Web Configuration

3rd. Central Configuration (Provisioning Server)

It is expected that if a user makes a change via the Phone GUI, an override config file <MAC>-phone.cfg is stored in the phone or sent to the provisioning server, if the server allows it. Similar for Web config - - > <MAC>-web.cfg.

When the phone receives the configuration from my SIP/Configuration server (3cx) I see the following files being sent to the phone:

1. <MAC>.cfg

2.<MAC>-config.cfg

Requests for <MAC>-phone.cfg or for <MAC>-web.cfg are responded by the server with 404 Not Found.

Please find my questions below:

1. Since 3cx hides the actual configuration files as per this link ==> here <== and I cannot see where the files are, what is actually happening? I know that the <MAC>.cfg file is generated while provisioning the Phone's MAC address in the 3cx, but what about the <MAC>-config.cfg file? I suspect that the reason is hiding within the <MAC>.cfg file which contains the following:

<device>
      <type>phone</type>
      <!-- Friendly Name -->
      <field name="Name">%%mac_address%%-config.cfg</field>

<deviceconfig filename="%%mac_address%%-config.cfg"><![CDATA[<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

[output cut]

2. What are the actual contents of the <MAC>-config.cfg file? Does it contain every configuration under the lines above? (like for example, <device/> configuration?)

3. What if the Phone cannot send the override files in the Provisioning Server? As per the Admin Guide, they are stored in the phone. In such case, if the user changes a setting, is there a way to override it via the privisioning server or is it stored forever in the phone until a factory reset?

4. In the VVX 400 GUI, I have the options to export All Config or the Device config. What is the difference between those two? What configuration lines does each one contain?

Apologies for the long post.

Thank you in advance,

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @GeorgeT,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Most likely these questions can only be answered by the 3CX support team.

If the phone is unable to upload its own MAC-Web.cfg and MAC-Phone.cfg and is as an example restarted and get re-provisioned from the server Values like the ringtone volume as an example are reset to factory defaults as we cannot save them in the MAC-Phone.cfg.

It is bad pactise to prevent these from being stored.

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

In regards what would a <Device config contain simply create a backup of your configuration as this will be split into:

<device, <phone, <Web and <configuration sections.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @GeorgeT,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Most likely these questions can only be answered by the 3CX support team.

If the phone is unable to upload its own MAC-Web.cfg and MAC-Phone.cfg and is as an example restarted and get re-provisioned from the server Values like the ringtone volume as an example are reset to factory defaults as we cannot save them in the MAC-Phone.cfg.

It is bad pactise to prevent these from being stored.

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

In regards what would a <Device config contain simply create a backup of your configuration as this will be split into:

<device, <phone, <Web and <configuration sections.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Steffen,

Thank you for your very prompt response.

While those questions could also concern 3cx like you suggested, I believe that I could limit them to the scope of Polycom only. In such case, please let's focus on questions #3 and #4, which only regard Polycom phones. Let me rephrase:

3. While the Polycom cannot PUT the files in the server, it still keeps its configuration after a reboot or reprovisioning. My question is, how does this happen? Does it store this config in the phone, like mentioned in the Admin Guide? (flash memory, ro something?). In such case, will the user's manual settings (either by Phone GUI or Web GUI) always override the provisioning server's settings?

4. While in Polycom's GUI-->Utilities-->Import & Export Configuration I can see various Options:

- All Config (except Device Settings)

- Device Settings

- SIP config

- Local, etc

What is the actual difference between all those? I could not find infor neither in the admin nor in the VVX 400 user guide. What is the safest way to check the current running config of a Polycom device? By appending the Device config to the All Config?

Thank you,

George

HP Recommended

Hello @GeorgeT,

I believe these are already answered. Changes made on the phone itself have the higest priority and overwrite any other configuration method aka Web and/or Configuration file.

Simply create a backup of the configuration as shown here:

May 25, 2017 Question: Can I create a backup of my current configuration?

Resolution:Since UC Software 4.0.0 or later a backup can be created via the Web Interface Utilities > Phone Backup & Restore > Phone Backup > Phone Backup

The backup will contain the different sources sections as explained already.

A phone must be able to upload the <mac>-phone.cfg and <mac>-web.cfg or the platform breaks our provisioning concept used from day 1.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hello Steffen,

Thanks again for getting back.

Apologies for insisting, but i would still need some clarifications:

1. I understand that the backup file that you mention, is the best way to check the phone's actual configuration. Not the All Config (except device settings) neither the Device Settings. But still, I see some inconsistencies. For example, the backup file includes the following line:

reg.1.lineKeys="1"

At the same time, I can now see that my VVX 400 has currently 4 registration keys (just like i had configured manually via the Phone GUI) and not only 1. Is there a chance that the backup file stores the config received by the server and not the actual runing config?

2. After i changed manually (Phone GUI) some parameters, I restarted the phone and it was reprovisioned by my central server. It seems that some parameters that had been changed via the Phone GUI survived, while some others were overriden by the central server. For example, the admin password was changed to the one forced by the central server, while the registration lines were configured as per the phone (reg.1.lineKeys above). Why is that happening? Would you say it is because the Polycom is not allowed to upload files? I wouldn't think that this is the reason why some parameters survive, while others do not.

Best regards,

George

HP Recommended

Hello @GeorgeT,

we are getting into support territory which I am unable to provide for free via the community.

A backup contains the current running phone config.

I suggest you change the configuration logging level to event 1 and check your log file on your phone to see what files are being parsed.

If you need support or detailed qualification outside of this post please raise a ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket you need to work with your Polycom reseller as they need to do this for you.

End Customers are unable to open a ticket directly with Polycom support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter please post either your phone's MAC address or your Polycom devices serial so I can look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Polycom device from.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Hello Steffen,

Noted with thanks.

I will try to figure it out via the ticket path.

Regards,

George

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I added an additional section to the above FAQ post => here <=

This hopefully will answer any open questions.

For additional details please work with a Polycom reseller and/or a Polycom sales engineer.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Steffen,

I am getting back because I have some trouble understanding how the device settings (parameters) work.

From my VVX 400's backup ouput file:

- Under device settings: device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="0"

- Under config file: device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="1"

- Inside my provisioning server's actual config file: device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="1"

So, how did the VVX 400 get the "0" value under the device settings?

I have not been able to clarify how this works. Any link clarifying the abovwe would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

George

HP Recommended

To be more specific:

In the backup output file of the VVX 400, I noticed that the following parameters have different values in the <DEVICE_SETTINGS> area than their respective values in the <CONFIG_FILES> area:

<DEVICE_SETTINGS

device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="0"

device.prov.password.set="0"

device.prov.serverType="HTTP"/>

<CONFIG_FILES

device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="1"

device.prov.password.set="1"

device.prov.serverType="2"/>

My questions:

Since the backup was taken after a factory reset, where the phone was only provisioned by the central server, why does it have different Device parameter values in the Device area compared to the Config area?

I am absolutely confused, any feedback would be more than welcom.

Regards,

George

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.