Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have around 50 VVX 250 phones and had no issues with them for the first 4 months. Starting a little over a month ago, some of the phones started having a hissing sound when plugged into PoE. A week or two later, we started having phones power down or reboot when a user was on a call and when it was not in use. We've tried the AC power adapters but those haven't been perfect as we've had some phones die when plugged into that. We have some phones on the newest firmware and some on the prior version. I'm trying to see if rolling back a few versions will fix it but when I try to check for software updates in the web interface, it says it failed to fetch available software.

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello @jeff2527 ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

From our FAQ:

May 11, 2018 Question: Why do I get a "Failed to fetch available software from the Poly hosted server" error message or able to download list but unable to upgrade/downgrade?

Resolution: Please ensure your firewall allows outbound network traffic as shown  => here <=

With such a large amount of phones, this would need to come into Support.

The best and quickest way forward is to contact our Support organisation as the community is run by volunteers only.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks, Steffen. Is it just the URL and port that you have highlighted, Connected to downloads.polycom.com (140.242.65.96) port 80 (#0), that needs allowed or are there other ports and/or URLs?

I have opened a support ticket but the response has been extremely slow.

HP Recommended

We have the same issue.  Purchased 74 VVX250s from CDW on 10/25/2022 for go live 12/2/2022.  First one started hissing a couple weeks ago.  We are now up to 7 or so.  Frequent random restarts, including when on an active call and with no Firmware update following reboot.  We are set to auto-install Firmware updates so, we are on the latest version.  Our outside IT ran significant testing on our PoE at the switch and user level and everything tests fine.  Our user base is ready to skin me alive.  I've opened 6 tickets with Poly but this is obviously a bigger problem.  Please let me know if you learn anything and I'll do the same.

HP Recommended

Well, I hate to tell you but it will probably get worse. I think out of the 50+ phones we have, we maybe have 4 or 5 that aren't making the hissing sound and rebooting randomly. Our MSP also did significant testing on the switches, including opening multiple TAC cases with Cisco but nothing was found. I did just get 5 Yealink T33g phones in yesterday and have them in place with no issues so far, but it's early. However, I could not get 5 or 6 Poly phones to power on in my office yet the Yealink came up right away and hasn't dropped. We have another user who's phone will only power on with the AC adapter but it is working fine with the Yealink and PoE powering the phone.

I feel for you, the last 5 or 6 weeks have been the worst in my 15 years at this job. I'm hoping the Yealink's don't have any issues and then we'll know it's an issue with Poly. I've tried rolling back the firmware on the Poly phones but I get an error saying it can't fetch the software. I have a case open about that but of course have heard nothing as they have the worst support I have ever been involved with.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

HP Recommended

Hello @jeff2527  and @ZoomZoomZoom 

Welcome to the Poly community.

As with everyone manufacturing products issues can arise in the process and therefore a large number of phones can be affected.

Therefore it is important to raise this with our official support structure in region so we can track the serial numbers affected and link this back to the factory and product management.

As no serials or ticket references have been shared I am unable to follow this up.

Please be aware that the Poly community is officially hosted by Poly but run by volunteers so therefore it is important to work this through support as posting anything here does not automatically make it back to product management.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks.  I have opened tickets but this is clearly a widespread issue.

HP Recommended

Just to give you an update, the Poly support person I was escalated to finally acknowledged that this is a known issue with VVX 250 Hardware Rev A and Rev B phones. We are doing an RMA on all of the phones that have had issues. We'll see if the new phones work or not. We did purchase 5 Yealink phones just to see if we would have any issues and have not more than a week of use.

HP Recommended

We are also now experiencing the same issue with our recently installed 70 VVX 250 handsets and after around 4 months they are beginning to fail. I am now on the 3rd handset making the hissing sound and powering off. I have logged tickets with my service provider who are quick to replace the handsets. Seems like a batch of faulty handsets was manufactured as all our POE connections are fine. 

HP Recommended

Same story here with our VVX 250's.  After several months of being in the field, these devices, all Rev A/B so far, have started to humm / buzz and subsequently die shortly after. This seems to be consistent, Once 1 or 2 have the issue at a particular site, there are at least a couple each day after that.

From our Tech troubleshooting it appears the internal PoE transformer is the culprit in this failure. Using an external power supply has worked in some cases, but not all. 

Primarily on Cisco Catalyst & Meraki Switches. 

We are also currently working with support on having the impacted devices submitted for an RMA. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.