Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We are using the Polycom 331 phones on an Asterisk system.  If the phone is onhook and you enter an asterisk in the dialstring such as *77 then press dial, everyting works as it should.  However, if you are offhook and hit the * key as part of your dialstring, it displays (*)* and seems to execute the last context in the Asterisk dialplan.  I searched the google and the Polycom forum for "using an asterisk in the dialstring" and came up empty.  And since Asterisk recommends *8 to initiate call pickup and also provides several other dialplan examples that use the * I have to surmise -- perhaps incorrectly so -- that it is something in the Polycom configuration that is causing this behavior.  Any insight is appreciated.  Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello jreed,

the community forum can only work if you provide feedback to your previous post's.

So far this is your 3rd Post and you have not yet got back on the BLF Post or the Transfer Key Post.

The Transfer Key post that was answered by myself already includes part of an explanation why the phone handles Numbers or Strings differently than when it is on hook.

There is an extensive FAQ post => here <= that already covered the Dial Plan / Digit Map but I have additionally added now detailed information and explanations regarding Feature Codes as well.

Just searching via a Search Engine with some of the key words used in your post also provides plenty results as this is a commonly known topic in various community's.

As an explanation:

The standard factory default Digitmap 

<diaplan dialplan.digitmap="[2-9]11|0T|011xxx.T|[0-1][2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxT"/>

is simply unaware of the *8 feature code as these vary on every platform and are not standardized.

So without a changed Digitmap when dialing * off hook:

PleaseDial.png

EntermoreDigits.png

The Phone simply sends a SIP Invite to the SIP Server containing *@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as explained in the Admin Guide the impossible digit match Parameter sends this unknown digit / character / string to the SIP Server.

Adding |*8 to the above will make the Phone aware and await the 8 after the * before sending the now matching string to the SIP Server.

ConnectingTo.png

If above fixes your Issue, and the other Post's where I have provided you with feedback, please ensure to mark these as fixed solutions so other users can find these and profit from the advise given.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello jreed,

the community forum can only work if you provide feedback to your previous post's.

So far this is your 3rd Post and you have not yet got back on the BLF Post or the Transfer Key Post.

The Transfer Key post that was answered by myself already includes part of an explanation why the phone handles Numbers or Strings differently than when it is on hook.

There is an extensive FAQ post => here <= that already covered the Dial Plan / Digit Map but I have additionally added now detailed information and explanations regarding Feature Codes as well.

Just searching via a Search Engine with some of the key words used in your post also provides plenty results as this is a commonly known topic in various community's.

As an explanation:

The standard factory default Digitmap 

<diaplan dialplan.digitmap="[2-9]11|0T|011xxx.T|[0-1][2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxT"/>

is simply unaware of the *8 feature code as these vary on every platform and are not standardized.

So without a changed Digitmap when dialing * off hook:

PleaseDial.png

EntermoreDigits.png

The Phone simply sends a SIP Invite to the SIP Server containing *@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as explained in the Admin Guide the impossible digit match Parameter sends this unknown digit / character / string to the SIP Server.

Adding |*8 to the above will make the Phone aware and await the 8 after the * before sending the now matching string to the SIP Server.

ConnectingTo.png

If above fixes your Issue, and the other Post's where I have provided you with feedback, please ensure to mark these as fixed solutions so other users can find these and profit from the advise given.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

My apologies for not understanding the ins and outs of the forum.  It is obvious that there is no tolerance for the novice in the community forum.  Thus I respectfully request that you terminate my account as I do not want to cause further inconvenience to the forum.  Thank You.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.