Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi!

Recently I got a VVX 1500 phone that I've been trying to upgrade. It's on really old software currently... BootBlock= 2.8.1, BootRom= 4.1.2. Application was on 3.1.2 before it erased itself.

I've tried following this guide here: https://www.poly.com/content/dam/www/products/support/voice/cx/other/vvx1500-ug-bmp-2ucs-5-2-0.pdf

Problem is that whenever I try to actually upgrade the bootblock (by holding down the appropriate buttons), the update fails and the phone formats itself. Then it tries to boot, figures out that application on boot server isn't compatible and reboots itself again The logs are pretty much useless - I've attached them here.

I have a feeling that I need to find the 2.9.0 bootblock and boot rom files and try to do incremental updates (as described here: https://www.poly.com/content/dam/www/products/support/voice/polycom-uc/other/vvx1500-upgrade-to-v3-2... ). But these files are not available anywhere. Is it possible to download these somewhere? Or at least the old 3.1.2 application that works on this phone?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

So, I finally managed to track down an older version of the app (on the page for a completely different phone).

So now I am running:

App 3.1.3.0439

Bootblock 2.8.2

Bootrom 4.1.2.0618

So, where can I find the things that I need to be able to upgrade this to the newer version? Probably the bootblock and bootrom. Surely hosting older versions shouldn't be that hard?

HP Recommended

Hello @roli ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

The VVX 1500 is End of sale, End of Support, and End of life

We no longer host any software updates on our official support page.

At your own risk, you could try the BootBlock 3.0.4 which can be found via a Forum Search >here<

Please ensure you follow the Technical Bulletin 695 Guide for BootBlock conversion. You will need a local FTP server

You also will need a local 000000000000.cfg file which usually comes with any Poly firmware download.

• Place the BootBlock into a directory and create a user for it to access.
  • Also create the below file 000000000000cfg and place in the same folder

The below would be as advised in the TB Guide

!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK ONLY AS THIS UPDATES THE PHONE TO BOOTBLOCK 3.0.4 and UC SOFTWARE 5.9.2 !!!

The above will cause the VVX once the FTP is accessed:

• If the procedure is followed as in the KB upgrade the Bootblock from the local file
  • Upgrade the VVX from the remote location

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!-- Default Master SIP Configuration File-->
<!-- For information on configuring Polycom VoIP phones please refer to the -->
<!-- Configuration File Management white paper available from: -->
<!-- http://www.polycom.com/common/documents/whitepapers/configuration_file_management_on_soundpoint_ip_phones.pdf -->
<APPLICATION
  APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld"
  DECT_FILE_PATH="3111-17823-001.dect.ld"
  CONFIG_FILES=""
  SERVICE_FILES=""
  MISC_FILES=""
  LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY=""
  OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY=""
  CONTACTS_DIRECTORY=""
  LICENSE_DIRECTORY=""
  USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY=""
  CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY=""
  COREFILE_DIRECTORY=""
  CERTIFICATE_DIRECTORY=""
  FLK_DIRECTORY=""
  >
  <APPLICATION_SPIP300 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP300="sip_213.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP300="phone1_213.cfg, sip_213.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP500 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP500="sip_213.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP500="phone1_213.cfg, sip_213.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP301 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP301="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP301="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP501 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP501="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP501="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP600 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP600="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP600="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP601 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP601="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP601="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP430 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP430="sip_327.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP430="phone1_327.cfg, sip_327.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP320 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP320="sip_335.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP320="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP330 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP330="sip_335.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP330="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP321 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP321="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP321="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP331 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP331="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP331="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP335 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP335="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP335="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP450 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP450="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP450="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP550 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP550="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP550="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP560 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP560="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP560="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP650 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP650="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP650="" />
  <APPLICATION_SPIP670 APP_FILE_PATH_SPIP670="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SPIP670="" />
  <APPLICATION_SSIP4000 APP_FILE_PATH_SSIP4000="sip_318.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SSIP4000="phone1_318.cfg, sip_318.cfg" />
  <APPLICATION_SSIP5000 APP_FILE_PATH_SSIP5000="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SSIP5000="" />
  <APPLICATION_SSIP6000 APP_FILE_PATH_SSIP6000="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SSIP6000="" />
  <APPLICATION_SSIP7000 APP_FILE_PATH_SSIP7000="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SSIP7000="" />
  <APPLICATION_SSDuo APP_FILE_PATH_SSDuo="sip_4014.ld" CONFIG_FILES_SSDuo="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX300 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX300="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX300="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX310 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX310="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX310="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX400 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX400="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX400="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX410 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX410="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX410="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX500 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX500="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX500="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX600 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX600="sip_590.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX600="" />
  <APPLICATION_VVX1500 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX1500="http://13.58.120.155/592/2345-17960-001.sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX1500="" BOOTBLOCK_FILE_PATH_VVX1500="bootblock.ld"/>
</APPLICATION>

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi! As I mentioned... upgrading to boot block 3.0.4 directly does not work. I am guessing that I need an older version of bootblock first (probably 2.9) before I can upgrade to this one. But getting those is apparently almost impossible.

And I am sure hosting older files for EOL products isn't that hard. I can get files and manuals that I need for Sony, Dell, ... products ranging back to the 90s and earlier.

HP Recommended

Hello @roli 

please ensure you read my signature. I am replying as a private person and volunteer, not as a Poly employee.

This is detailed in my signature. Therefore any comment regarding how long a company should support and host old software is irrelevant. I am just stating facts here so you do not waste time searching for web pages which are no longer hosted.

I have updated my instructions aka the 00000000000.cfg file you can copy and create yourself, then download the BootBlock file from the old link and set up an FTP server. Do not use TFTP servers as this can cause issues with larger files.

The instructions on what to press are clear and the phone will download and upload the BootBlock first. You could also try removing the link to the 5.2.0 software so the phone will only be able to download the BootBlock and nothing else. Once this is done add the 5.2.0 URL to the 0000000000.cfg 

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

As I said... I have already tried this. I've downloaded the 3.0.4 bootblock, put it on the FTP server, modified the 00000000000.cfg to add the path to the bootblock. When I hold the appropriate buttons I get to the "flash bootblock menu" and when I press the continue button it tries to flash it. But every time I try it, it says "flashing failed", tries x more times and then fails completely, then formats the file system and reboots and I am back at the beginning.

HP Recommended

Hello @roli 

thanks for providing this information. As you are still on an ancient 3.1.3 you would need to go to UC Software 4.0.x

As we no longer host this software on our official support page try http://voipt2.polycom.com/

You would want to use 4.0.15 as an interim step to upgrade.

Once on this try the above-suggested conversion using the BootBlock and then go to the latest 5.9.5 

Best regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Sadly this does not work either. I have tried this the first time I got the phone. I tried all of the 4.x distributions that were available on there. I think the ancient boot block is preventing me from upgrading to anything past 3.1.x. For example I've tried 3.2.2 and the phone complaied that the application is not compatible with it. I think my only solution is getting the 2.9 bootblock first, then I should be able to go to at least 3.2.2 and hopefuly 4.x.x.

HP Recommended

Hello @roli 

the 3.2.2 comment triggered a memory. We had another iteration where we needed to upgrade the BootBlock. I can google old versions of the Technical Bulletin 53522 on non-Poly sites.

Poly does no longer host this old software unfortunately so unless you find someone with an old version.

I have been with Poly for 14 years and I do not have them either as the oldest I have is 3.2.7 and 3.1.8 both do not contain the software you need.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.