Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi Team,

I am stuck "or have a mind blank"

Running Firmware 5.9.0.9373

VVX501 Lync Handsets

I have a provisioning server with FTP read write access, everything is working a treat.

I have my 000000000.cfg file pointing to a shared.cfg file where all configs are in.

I have a need to make a change on just 2 phones out of the lot, need to add a soft key for group pickups.

The FTP share has files "macaddress-phone.cfg" but reading through the manual you are not supposed to make changes in this.

If I create a "macaddress.cfg" for the 2 phones than any major changes I do in the shared.cfg or 00000000.cfg will never apply to these phones again.

How can I make changes to just some phones but not others?

I also tried changing the "macaddress-phone.cfg" and formatting the file system of the phone as I thought it will then go to that file for a backup bt no go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would recommend creating a separate directory for the phones. this will allow you to have 2 000000000000.cfg files and calling separate files. 

for example. on your FTP server create a directory called polycom where you place the 000000000000.cfg file. then create a config directory inder polycom for your config files.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<!-- $RCSfile: 000000000000.cfg,v $  $Revision: 1.23.8.5 $ -->
<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="config/shared.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="logs" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="overrides" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="contacts" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="license" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="user" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="calls" COREFILE_DIRECTORY="logs">
<APPLICATION_VVX300 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX300="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX300="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX310 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX310="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX310="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX400 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX400="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX400="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX410 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX410="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX410="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX500 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX500="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX500="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX501 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX501="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX501="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX600 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX600="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX600="config/shared.cfg"/>
</APPLICATION>

on the phones point the server address to example.com/polycom replacing example.com with your server IP or domain. All phones will then download the shared.cfg file. 

Now create another directory under polycom named a or any other name you like and copy the 000000000000.cfg file there. This file should look similar to .

n="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="logs" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="overrides" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="contacts" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="license" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="user" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="calls" COREFILE_DIRECTORY="logs">
<APPLICATION_VVX300 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX300="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX300="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX310 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX310="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX310="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX400 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX400="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX400="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX410 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX410="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX410="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX500 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX500="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX500="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX501 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX501="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX501="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX600 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX600="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX600="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
</APPLICATION>

Now any phone that needs the button added just change the server address to example.com/polycom/a replacing example.com with your server IP or domain. If the button code is the same for all phones then you can replace ../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg with ../config/button.cfg.  All config files can be placed in the polycom/config folder. 

[MACADDRESS] gets replaced with the phones mac address all lower case and is used to allow the phones to have separate configs. 

In the polycom/config folder you will have the following files shared.cfg and button.cfg or  123abc456def-custom.cfg and 456def789ghi-custom.cfg

All phones that have the server address set to example.com/polycom replacing example.com with your server IP or domain.  will get the shared config only. 

All pones  that have the server address set to example.com/polycom/a replacing example.com with your server IP or domain.  will get the shared config and the [MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg or button.cfg files 

If the button code is the same for both phones then I would recommend using the button.cfg file. This will alow you to add the button to any phone just by changed the server address and not need you to build a new config file.

The config files I posted are examples created from the file I use on my ftp server. I recommend using them as a guide but if you do use trhem then you will need to modify the file so it's pointing to the correct directorys. Be sure to change  APP_FILE_PATH to point to the firmware version you are using.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

welcome back to the Poly Community.

I suggest you look at:

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I saw and read through this post before but can't work it out with this information.

I did try to copy all lines from the shared.cfg I use to a macaddress.cfg so the phone can download just that. That unfortunatelly didn't work as the phone went into a boot loop saying "application not present" until I deleted the macaddress.cfg again.

And I thought if I create a macaddress.cfg then any changes I do in the 0000000.cfg and shared.cfg will never apply again?

Any help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

As a rule of thumb the 000000000000.cfg or the equivalent <mac>.cfg will ever contain any configuration.

Check:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
Hi Thanks for the prompt response again.
I am still unsure how I can change the config of just 2 phones to add a small feature without stopping them from ever applying changes to the whole environment again. I think I understand that just changing the 00000000.cfg to a macaddress.cfg will make these files and configuratuons individual and unique but the phone will never check the 000000000.cfg again.
One other hurdle I have to overcome if there is no other way is that when I copied all the lines from my sub config file into the mac address. Cfg it went into a boot loop.
One more question to try another approach is there a way to program a soft button from the web console?
Thanks
HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

You keep mentioning files but as you are not attaching them we cannot outline your errors.

I can only repeat myself but you will never add any kind of configuration to the <mac>.cfg. This file as the 00000000000.cfg is just the file that loads configuration files.

The FAQ has this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Do I always need a Provisioning Server or can I configure a Phone via the Web Interface or via the Phone Gui?

If you still struggle and nobody else is willing to help the next step would be a ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket you need to work with your Poly reseller as they need to do this for you.

End Customers are unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Hi Marcel,

OK I think I found my mistake and why the phone went into a bot loop.

It was one of these days.

One more question if I may.

If I leave the 00000000.cfg as is and in that it refers to a shared.cfg all phones will load this group config.

Is there a way of adding something like "macaddress-custom.cfg" into the 000000000.cfg which would then look like:

CONFIG_FILES="shared.cfg, 123abc456def-custom.cfg, 456def789ghi-custom.cfg"

And only the specific 2 phones with the specified mac will load this file in addition to the 000000000.cfg and shared.cfg?

This way I would still be able to push the standard config to all phones including the one with custom parameters.

I believe that would work but what would this file need to be named, I couldn't find any reference in the previous explanations for custom files with mac addresses.

Any tip is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello @Sebastian1 ,

Unsure who Marcel is supposed to be but I believe I already answered all your questions or pointed you to the FAQ's which explain all this.

If you use the substitute method in a single 000000000000.cfg then all phones will try and load files with their MAC or their Phone Model in it.

If some phones have these and others don't then the ones with files missing will not load anything as an incomplete configuration is valued irrelevant rather than loading half of something.

So far you have not shared your mistakes so others cannot learn from this post and potentially will make the same mistakes.

If you still struggle open a support ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they need to do this for you.

End Customers are unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

I would recommend creating a separate directory for the phones. this will allow you to have 2 000000000000.cfg files and calling separate files. 

for example. on your FTP server create a directory called polycom where you place the 000000000000.cfg file. then create a config directory inder polycom for your config files.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="config/shared.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="logs" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="overrides" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="contacts" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="license" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="user" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="calls" COREFILE_DIRECTORY="logs">
<APPLICATION_VVX300 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX300="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX300="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX310 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX310="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX310="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX400 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX400="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX400="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX410 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX410="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX410="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX500 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX500="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX500="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX501 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX501="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX501="config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX600 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX600="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX600="config/shared.cfg"/>
</APPLICATION>

on the phones point the server address to example.com/polycom replacing example.com with your server IP or domain. All phones will then download the shared.cfg file. 

Now create another directory under polycom named a or any other name you like and copy the 000000000000.cfg file there. This file should look similar to .

n="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<APPLICATION APP_FILE_PATH="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg" MISC_FILES="" LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="logs" OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="overrides" CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="contacts" LICENSE_DIRECTORY="license" USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="user" CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="calls" COREFILE_DIRECTORY="logs">
<APPLICATION_VVX300 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX300="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX300="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX310 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX310="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX310="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX400 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX400="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX400="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX410 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX410="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX410="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX500 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX500="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX500="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX501 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX501="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX501="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
<APPLICATION_VVX600 APP_FILE_PATH_VVX600="firmware/6.0.0/sip.ld" CONFIG_FILES_VVX600="../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg, ../config/shared.cfg"/>
</APPLICATION>

Now any phone that needs the button added just change the server address to example.com/polycom/a replacing example.com with your server IP or domain. If the button code is the same for all phones then you can replace ../config/[MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg with ../config/button.cfg.  All config files can be placed in the polycom/config folder. 

[MACADDRESS] gets replaced with the phones mac address all lower case and is used to allow the phones to have separate configs. 

In the polycom/config folder you will have the following files shared.cfg and button.cfg or  123abc456def-custom.cfg and 456def789ghi-custom.cfg

All phones that have the server address set to example.com/polycom replacing example.com with your server IP or domain.  will get the shared config only. 

All pones  that have the server address set to example.com/polycom/a replacing example.com with your server IP or domain.  will get the shared config and the [MACADDRESS]-custom.cfg or button.cfg files 

If the button code is the same for both phones then I would recommend using the button.cfg file. This will alow you to add the button to any phone just by changed the server address and not need you to build a new config file.

The config files I posted are examples created from the file I use on my ftp server. I recommend using them as a guide but if you do use trhem then you will need to modify the file so it's pointing to the correct directorys. Be sure to change  APP_FILE_PATH to point to the firmware version you are using.

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Thank you for pointing out the FAQ, I have thoroughly read these to understand how to apply the configs and also read through the admin guide.

You mention above again:

If you use the substitute method in a single 000000000000.cfg then all phones will try and load files with their MAC or their Phone Model in it.

I was trying to find out if the cfg files targeting a specific phone have to be named a specific name.

eg: "macaddress-custom.cfg" or "macaddress-phone.cfg" or "macaddress-something.cfg" 

Unfortunately this is not addressed in the FAQ so I was unsure about if these files need to be a specific name or if it can be anything as long as their mac address is listed. 

I must have written my question wrong.

@oslinux, thank you for your help as well.

So if I understand your answer correct than the cfg files can be named anything and if they are named "macaddress-anything.cfg" they are ready by the targeted phone and the phone doesn't care what comes after the "macaddress". This clears it up, Thank You.

I do like your idea of separate directories as well, I will do some planning around this and implement.

Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.