Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

we are using Polycom IP450/650 phones with Firmware 3.2.7.

We have trouble with German Umlauts in the Displayname.

Our config is UTF-8 encoded xml on a TFTP server.

The first we tried was

reg.1.displayName="Jürgen"

When we call another phone from this line the other one sees "J". ü and the rest is not visible.

The second we tried was

reg.1.displayName="Jürgen"

When we call another phone from this line the other one sees "Jürgen" in the display.

How do we need to encode the umlauts to make the displayed correct?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

There is a phone of another manufacturer that called me lately.

The umlaut ü was encoded with \303\274 in the SIP message and was displayed correctly by my polycom.

I tried to set reg.1.displayName="J\303\274rgen" but then the other phones show J\\303\\274rgen.

HP Recommended

Hello Jan,

did you declare the UTF-8 format in the XML file ?

I just did a quick check using UCS 4.0.3 and set the Web Interface to German and added "Jöäürgen" as Display, Line and 3rd Party name the Phone writes these back to the backup file and displays the characters correctly in the Web Interface and configuration files.

Usually a SIP Server (in my case Asterisk) overwrites the Display Name information of the phone and displays it's own display name.

Removing this part on the server and the phone sends From: "Jöäürgen"

I would suggest to raise this via your Polycom reseller to get confirmation from Polycom support stating the RFC that specifies the support of Umlaute to get a final confirmation.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

the XML configuration starts with

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

This should be ok I think.

When the phone is configure with &#252; the webinterface of the phone also shows &#252; at the displayname.

After manually entering ü at the phone's webinterface it works fine. Is there a way to export the configuration from the phone as xml so I can see how polycom encodes the umlaut?

HP Recommended

Hello Jan,

Using SIP 3.2.x and below usually writes any changes made via the Phone GUI or Web Interface in a file called <mac>-phone.cfg

Using UCS 3.3.x and above writes any changes made via the Web Interface in a file called <mac>-web.cfg

Since UCS 4.0.0 you can also export your configuration.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.