Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have a Trio 8800 connected to a computer via 30 ft USB cable from the computer to the 6.5' usb cable supplied with the 8800. We have been using it as a speaker for Skype meetings held on the computer and it worked great for 3 months. Now we cannot get the computer to recognize the Trio 8800, we get a error pop-up on the computer stating "USB devie not recognized". If I bypass the USB extension cable and use the Polycom 6.5 ft USB that came with the phone and connect that directly to the computer the phone is recognized and works fine. To test the USB stick I connected a thumb drive to it and the PC recognized it and I could see and manipulate the files on the drive, so it appears that the USB cable is fine. I was running 5.4.5 and then once this occurred I upgraded to 5.7.1 hoping that would make a difference, but the behavior was the same. We are running windows 10 on the PC. We have 2 other 8800's with 15' USB extension cables connected that are working fine. Has anyone else seen this issue and if so, were you able to resolve it?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @ArnieG ,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

We, Polycom, only support the usage of the original cable. Anything longer is out of spec and as you noticed yourself may work or not.

The specifications are listed => here <=

Quote:

• The USB 1.1 standard specifies that a standard cable can have a maximum length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) with devices operating at full speed (12 Mbit/s), and a maximum length of 3 meters (9 ft 10 in) with devices operating at low speed (1.5 Mbit/s).
  • USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters (16 ft 5 in) for devices running at high speed (480 Mbit/s).

• The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9 ft 10 in)

For other Polycom products requiring a longer cable we usually recommend an Icron USB Extender.

For the Polycom Trio product we have not yet required this and neither tested this.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.