Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:

Hello Jerad and all,

apologize for repeating myself:

Jan 03, 2013 Question: How can I request a change to the current Polycom SIP / UC Software?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Thanks for repeating yourself, Steffen - it made it easier than me having to sift back through things. I made the request to our Polycom Reseller. You should see something along these lines.

• Feature Request:  VOIP-114747
  • Business case: Competitors have this feature. Customer wants the feature and feels system is inferior to competitors, but stuck with the Polycom system due to contractual obligations. Would prefer to work with existing system instead of switching, but managers are only going to be so patient for so long… As we grow, and get new managers, they may be more demanding than previous managers.
  • # of handsets: (You fill this out) At a minimum, it affects all of the handsets in our office. Maybe other customers feel the same??? Maybe there is an easy way to survey your existing customer base?

HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK

• Polycom does actively encourage people to register this feature request and I mentioned this within this post multiple times that we have enhancement request  VOIP-114747 open for this BUT:

You or your Polycom reseller must do this the official way aka via a feature request and a business case

To my personal knowledge nobody in this and the other posts has done this to this day

Nobody has done this because, from your linked FAQ:

Question:  How can I raise a Feature Request?

Answer:  An End Customer is unable to raise this directly with Polycom.

If I wanted to do what you ask, I'd have to convince my IT department to convince their reseller to file a ticket with Polycom. So I did what I could - I emailed IT asking about the feature. What did I hear back? "Not possible, sorry." No way do I have enough political capital to get them to do all of that work just to request a feature for me. I'm sure almost everyone else here is in the same boat.

I really appreciate that you take your free time to post in this community and discuss the issues with us. It's great to have a company representative responding, and I can understand how frustrating it is to have to say the same thing over and over again. I hope you can see that this is happening because we have no other outlet in which to ask, and all we can do is post here. I would much, much rather send in a feature request as you ask... but it simply isn't possible. This is why I asked you to pass along that the existing feedback system is broken - if I could file a feature request, I would.

HP Recommended

Also... check this out from October 2008. It makes it look like a comma should be a 2-second pause, as of October 2008.

http://www.polycom.com/content/dam/polycom/common/documents/brochures/uc-software-feature-summary-br...

Clickable Link

HP Recommended

@bmulholland wrote:

Nobody has done this because, from your linked FAQ:

Question:  How can I raise a Feature Request?

Answer:  An End Customer is unable to raise this directly with Polycom.

If I wanted to do what you ask, I'd have to convince my IT department to convince their reseller to file a ticket with Polycom. So I did what I could - I emailed IT asking about the feature. What did I hear back? "Not possible, sorry." No way do I have enough political capital to get them to do all of that work just to request a feature for me. I'm sure almost everyone else here is in the same boat.

It's as if they'd prefer to stick their fingers in their ears, yelling, "Lalalalalalalala!!!!  I can't hear you!!!!"

It seems apparent to me that they don't care about this functionality. I've started recommending folks consider alternative phone vendors.  That Snom D765 looks pretty nice, and would make a nice candidate for replacing my VVX410.

HP Recommended

@Jeradooka

Thanks for finally bringing this into the Organisation via the correct way. I am not sure if the release you quoted was ever made available or if it is a document bug. This was before I started with Polycom.

@bmulholland

If you are unable to convince your own IT Department then again I am unsure how important this feature is for yourself or the organisation you work for

@jcostom

Again if you are unable to convince anyone in your organisation again I can only ask the same aka how important is this feature to your organisation. We cover as an example 70% of all devices used for LYNC / Skype for Business and Snom is not an officially supported platform.

@All

Again we do not even know how many phones you combined purchased and if these are current models like the VVX or you simply purchased a couple of year old SoundStation / SoundPoint phones. You all could be a single individual with a single used phone as far as I am aware.

You do need to understand that we need to align features to the market demand and so far nobody purchasing new phones demanded this feature.

I have made upper management aware of the lack of the feature again and I am unable to comment on the outcome unless there is a new software released.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK wrote:

@jcostom

Again if you are unable to convince anyone in your organisation again I can only ask the same aka how important is this feature to your organisation. We cover as an example 70% of all devices used for LYNC / Skype for Business and Snom is not an officially supported platform.

Steffen,

You might do well to consider a couple of points..

1. Companies are much more frequently electing to forego the desk phone, opting for providing a USB headset, pushing users toward just simply using Lync/SfB/Cisco IP Communicator/Bria/Insert Myriad of viable softphone clients here.  This slashes costs for IT.

2. This trend is being further accelerated by the consumerization of IT.  Users often get a choice, and they're choosing to forego the desk phone in increasing numbers because it lacks the value it once did.

The bottom line here is that if Polycom insists on refusing to implement features that are useful to end users, those end users will be content to live with headsets and softphones in increasing numbers.  Last time I checked, Polycom wasn't really in either of those businesses. The attitude your company shows mirrors one I had a front row seat for - the decline of Nokia. Their insistence that S60 was the road to the future, and how nobody wanted touch devices, despite glaring evidence to the contrary were direct contributors to their loss of a 40% global market share and a slide into irrelevance.  Continue ignoring customers, and they'll just start ignoring you. Permanently.

HP Recommended

@jcostom

we do not ignore our customers but the way a customer can make themselves heard may not suit yourself or your organisation.

Again we do not know anything about you as a customer or how or what Polycom Phones you have purchased or am using.

Without this minimum or basic information there is not a lot to go on.

You and a couple of users within this and the other post maybe assume that this is the most required functionality but all other people that purchased from us and will keep purchasing from us do not.

Its simply us putting the most important and most requested features first. This may not help yourself or the other users but this is what has been happening.

Again I did make product management aware but I cannot say anymore within this public community until we release a feature.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I received this from Product Management:

• The request for the Speed Dial with Pause feature for VVX phones has been recorded and its priority has been raised. It is being scheduled for availability in a future release.

I will close this post and refer any new post's to this post until I have a software release date.

HP Recommended

Hello all,

UC Software 6.4.0 was just released >here< which adds a pause for the VVX range compatible with this release.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.