Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am developing applications for a Sound Point 650 Phone with Sip Sofware 3.2.5.

I have developed a Java servlet running in Tomcat 5.5 in order to interact with the web browser on the phone. Pushing web pages, URI Pushes, and handling form requests etc.

Now I want to receive Telephony Notification Events.  I have turned on Telephony Event Notification in the config files as described in the Web Application Developers Guide.  

What I do not understand is what kind of handler I need to create on the web server to catch and handle these events.  I am giving the URL of my servlet, my understanding of the documentation is that the events would be posted to my servlet, but I am not receiving them?  What am I missing.

Thanks.

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Jerry,

only a wireshark trace or modifying the log levels on the Phone could/would tell if the Phone sends the data to this URL or if Tomcat refuses to accept the Data.

This is more a support related issue and should be dealt with via the proper channels described in the FAQ and outside the scope of this community.

I have tested this before in my lab and this works in SIP 3.2.x, UCS 3.3.x and UCS 4.0.x without issues using the suggested Websnarf as an example.

Other Members in this forum have also tested this before =>here <=.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello jdvorak,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The Phone is sending them in XML Format to Port 80 for example.

I tested this internally with a perl script called Websnarf that would just receive the Http and store the result.

UCS 4.0.0 has more events. 

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response, but I am still a bit confused.  Let me please give more specifics.

The URL that is set as the home page for the phone's mini-browser is: "mb.main.home="http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/PolycomWeb/Polycom?startLogin"   "Polycom" is the servlet that interfaces with the mini-browser.  The home page is a login page, and this all works fine.

In the sip.cfg file I have set the following configuration for Telephony Event Notification:

<telNotification apps.telNotification.URL="http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/PolycomWeb/Polycom" apps.telNotification.incomingEvent="1" apps.telNotification.outgoingEvent="1" apps.telNotification.onhookEvent="1" apps.telNotification.offhookEvent="1" />

Is my understanding incorrect that when a Telephony Notification Event is posted by the phone, that it should arrive at the doPost() event of my servlet "Polycom", which is what the URL is pointing to?

Thanks,

Jerry

HP Recommended

Hello Jerry,

the apps.telNotification.URL is the destination where the Phone sends the Data to. 

I ran Websnarf on my URL to IP of my PC.

Once the phone had an event it would send it to my PC and Websnarf would capture the Data.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services 

HP Recommended

Jerry,

The data from the telNotification event gets posted to the url at apps.telNotification.URL. This data is formed as XML but comes is transfered as a string and some parsing must be done. In my own (python based) applications I have a library called XML2Dict that I use to parse event notification XML.

The code looks something like this (for a line registration event):

#after saving 'post_data' from request.POST[0]
post_data.encode('utf8')

xml = XML2Dict()
#parse data into dict obj
xml_dict = xml.fromstring(post_data)

#store key variables from xml dict

PhoneIP = xml_dict.PolycomIPPhone.LineRegistrationEvent.PhoneIP
MAC = xml_dict.PolycomIPPhone.LineRegistrationEvent.MACAddress

HP Recommended

Thanks, your answer comfirms that the servlet that the URL is pointing to should get the post.

The question now is why is the servlet not receiving  the events?  As far as I can tell, the configuration is correct, and the servlet has no problems interfacing with the phone in any other way.

Jerry

HP Recommended

I believe all notification events require the phone to have a line extension registered. Could this be the issue?

HP Recommended

Yes, Line 1 is registered with an extension.

HP Recommended

Jerry,

have you got an application listening at Port 8080 on your PC ?

The apps.telNotification.URL="http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080" would be the destination of these reports from the Phone and it should send these to that address/application.

Without seeing any logs to check if the Configuration is even applied is rather difficult.

I would suggest to ensure that these are set correctly and loaded and as a troubleshooting hint maybe upgrade to UCS 3.3.2 as this Software has enhanced Information regarding provisioning errors.

Please use the cfcUtility (FAQ) to convert the Old Configuration files.

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Yes, Tomcat is listening at port 8080. The URL to the Tomcat servlet that I assigned for the telNotification is the same URL that I used for the phone mini browser home page, which works fine.

I checked the logs.  The boot log says the phone was provisioned successfully with no errors. Since the "mb.main.home",  "mb.idleDisplay.home", and "apps.push.serverRootURL" all are loaded properly, and are working correctly, I would wonder why the telNotification.URL would not load successfully.

Thanks.

Jerry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.