Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and new to the Polycom enviroment.

I urgently require assitance with setting up Polycom 331 phones with windows DHCP.

Herewith my current setup:

Flat network with polycom phones for call centre and Snom phones for backoffice.

We are moving to a complete new network with voice vlans and full blown DHCP

Polycom uses Option 66 for boot server as far as I understand as well as Snom so it will make it difficult on the new network to use both vendor phones on the same option. I believe you can have a custom option 160 for the Polycoms for boot server?

I am urgently looking for the Option string value to configure within the DHCP scope for these Polycoms?

What I would like to find out as well is whether this series IP 331 Polycoms support LLDP?

Your assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you and regards

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello OPC09,

Welcome to the Polycom Community.

Regarding DHCP Options, please check "Using DHCP Vendor Identifying Options With Polycom SoundPoint IP, SoundStation IP and VVX Phones" at  http://support.polycom.com/global/documents/support/technical/products/voice/DHCP_Option_60_TB54041....

Regarding LLDP, please check "SoundPoint IP, SoundStation IP and Polycom VVX Administrator’s Guide - UCS 3.3.0" at  http://support.polycom.com/global/documents/support/setup_maintenance/products/voice/spip_ssip_Admin...

The UCS Admin Guide explains all the features and your SoundPointIP 331 can run the latest UCS 3.3.1 Rev F Software.

I am unaware what type of provisioning Method the other Manufacturers Phones use but I am sure they should be able to co-exist being provisioned from one and the same Server as they should only load their respective Files and Firmware required by them.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello SteffenBaierUK,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding my post. The documentation seems to be very usefull.

The main thing I require here is boot server option 66 string value parameters for the polycom phones within windows DHCP.

The problem comes into play as follow.

The other vendor phones = SNOM, they also use boot server option 66 in DHCP to get configuration files, we cannot have two seperate phone types using the same boot server option as their boot server are on different servers than the polycom.

The problem is that both phone types will be on the same vlans hence they should have different boot server settings within DHCP.

Again, thank you for your assistance

HP Recommended

Hello OPC09,

reading the Admin Guide regarding Polycom Phone Provisioning reveals how flexible our Phones are in comparison to other manufacturers.

The provided examples are based on UCS 3.3.1 Rev F

You can for example utilize the CONFIG_FILES="" Section of a 000000000000.cfg to point the Phone to a different Provisioning server where it is able to load its configuration and/or Firmware.

Example:

CONFIG_FILES="HTTP://

CONFIG_FILES="FTP://123:456@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Above are only 2 examples how to the phone could load a so called Device Set Configuration which can include Parameters like the Provisioning Server Address etc. from a separate user account on a FTP or a separate Provisioning server.

example

Provisioning Server 1 contains the 000000000000.cfg with CONFIG_FILES="FTP://123:456@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/device.cfg"

create the device.cfg on your xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx Server with the following content:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?> <!--  Provisioning Configuration File   --> <provision>  <device device.set="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvOptType.set="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvOptType="2" device.prov.serverName.set="1" device.prov.serverName="ftp://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd" device.prov.serverType.set="1" device.prov.serverType="0" device.prov.user.set="1" device.prov.user="abc" device.prov.password.set="1" device.prov.password="def" />   </provision>

Explanation of the device.prov.serverType=

0=FTP, 1=TFTP, 2=HTTP,3=HTTPS, 4=FTPS, 5=Invalid

Explanation of the device.dhcp.bootSrvOptType=

1=Custom, 2=Static, 3=Custom+Option66

Above is just an example how you could archive your goal loading the device set file from a separate FTP Server and change the Boot Server Option to a Static Entry.

Once the Phone has loaded these files it will always automatically connect to the ftp://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd unless a Reset to Factory Defaults is applied. This would delete all Entry's manually set for the Provisioning Server Type and use the Option 66 Value again.

Please check the provided literature and liaise with your Polycom Reseller for further support.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.