Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Is there a way to maintain multiple provisioning servers or prossibly some type of hybrid scenario such as an internal provisioning server for phone changes, etc., and an external server for the actual call processing?

Customer is using a hosted VOIP provider, however the provvider currently doesn't provide a way for customers to deploy mass changes or updates to the phones such as configuration files, sofkeys, speed dials, or software updates (although I was told they "occasionally" push software updates out...doesn't look like it because these phones are on an older version of the UC software),  

We are able to update the phones & upload config files manually through the web configuration for each phone, but to update 70+ phones this way is very unproductive.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello Jermaine,

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above explains how the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg is utilized to load a configuration.

The CONFIG_FILES can be used to load Local or remote files. You could host this file on your server and point it to the Service Providers location to download some of their configuration.

The same is applicable for example for the APP_FILE_PATH or the other sections. This means you could specify a server address where to download the sip.ld from.

For more details consult the above FAQ post or the Admin Guide.

Additional support should be requested from your Polycom reseller.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

OK, I think I am following you, however, I need just a wee bit more clarification, so I have a couple of questions.

So if I'm understanding, I create a 000000000000.cfg file and host it locally on an FTP server, and set my DHCP options to point to the local FTP server for whatever items I'd like to set.  Where or what option should be used to point to the hosted provider's configuration server?

I'm looking at the downloaded file from one of the provisioned phones and I see that "device.prov.servername" is set to the provider's servers, as well as "voipprot.SIP.outboundproxy.address" and "voipprot.server.1.address".

I'm assuming I will need to reset the phone to factory defaults for it to clear out all of the statically set info so that it can pull the config from DHCP instead. If I point to the provider's provision server in our configuration files for the remainder of the configuration, will it override the local configuration server that DHCP originally set when it downloads the provider's configuration and reboots?

Lastly, I noticed that you said to open a case through the reseller, however, I'm not sure how helpful that would be because they told me that having another internal server wasn't possible, so I'm not sure if they are familiar with this.

HP Recommended

I don't belive you can have a phone pointed at two provising servers.  You can export the config from one of your phones and use that to build a base config or see if your VoIP provider will give you a copy of thiers to start with.

As far as removing the staticly set provising server you can do that from the Web UI, yes it will need to be done on every phone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.