Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi there, I hope this is the proper place to post this, since these forums are so new I'm taking a shot.

I've got a few Polycom IP 335's that are set up to provision via a local FTP server.  These sets are running the latest UC firmware 3.3.1.  In the "Administrator’s Guide for the Polycom® UC Software" v3.3.0, there's a reference to a parameter called "prov.configUploadPath" that is supposed to control where the phones upload their configs when the user does a manual upload:

But this parameter seems to be missing from and this triggers an error when building the config files:

I've searched manually through the XML Schema file "polycomConfig.xsd" and indeed there is no such attribute.  Is this just an accidental omission from the XSD or does this parameter not function at all?  I'd like to control this since without it, the configs all wind up in the same root folder which is not what we want.

thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi luckman212,

You're in the right area, and welcome to the forums.

Certain lesser used parameters may not be included in the configuration templates by default, and must be entered and configured manually. I tested with UC3.3.1f on a IP335 here in our lab to add the prov.configUploadPath as follows to a configuration file:

prov.configUploadPath="/ConfigUploads/"

In my TFTP/FTP directory, I created the ConfigUploads directory (with appropriate write permissions set), and from the phone was able to use Menu, Settings, Advanced, Admin Settings, Upload Configuration to upload the <MAC>-upload-all.cfg file to the ConfigUploads directory as expected. You shouldnt have to make any changes to the XSD for this parameter to work.

I attached a copy of the prov.cfg file and directory setup I used for this test if you want to test with it; I used the prov parameters found in site.cfg as a template. Let me know if that works for you.

Regards,
James

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi luckman212,

You're in the right area, and welcome to the forums.

Certain lesser used parameters may not be included in the configuration templates by default, and must be entered and configured manually. I tested with UC3.3.1f on a IP335 here in our lab to add the prov.configUploadPath as follows to a configuration file:

prov.configUploadPath="/ConfigUploads/"

In my TFTP/FTP directory, I created the ConfigUploads directory (with appropriate write permissions set), and from the phone was able to use Menu, Settings, Advanced, Admin Settings, Upload Configuration to upload the <MAC>-upload-all.cfg file to the ConfigUploads directory as expected. You shouldnt have to make any changes to the XSD for this parameter to work.

I attached a copy of the prov.cfg file and directory setup I used for this test if you want to test with it; I used the prov parameters found in site.cfg as a template. Let me know if that works for you.

Regards,
James

HP Recommended

James, thanks for the info.  Yes that did work :generic:

What I'd ideally like to do though is something like:

prov.configUploadPath="/[PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS]/"

Alas, this doesn't seem possible - these variables (MACADDRESS, PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS, PHONE_PART_NUMBER etc) seem to only be valid for the master 000000000000.cfg file.  Do you know if that's something that may change in UC 4.0.0?

HP Recommended

Hi luckman,

I did some checking, and it appears that the variable syntaxes are only able to be used in the <mac>.cfg files. I'm not aware of any future plans to implement that right now, however we love to receive feature requests, if you'd like to submit one here:

http://bit.ly/plcmfeaturerequest

-James

HP Recommended

Hi James & thanks again for the reply.  Actually I tried putting the [PHONE_MAC_ADDRESS] into my 0004f2XXXXXX.cfg file but it was ignored.  I had to "hard-code" the folder path.  Not sure if that is the way it's supposed to be but, that's the way it is apparently.  Maybe UC 4.0.0 will have more flexibility in this area...

HP Recommended

Hi luckman,

Sorry, I should have clarified that bit: The [variable] parameters are only valid when used for configuration file names themselves; they won't work for folder names or paths. I also am not aware of any changes that are planned in that regard, but I can definitely see the benefit of that feature, if it were implemented. I'd say that'd be another good feature request 🙂

-James

HP Recommended

Sounds good.   I saw that UC 4.0.0 was released a few days ago for some of the other models so I will probably wait until the GA release for the SPIP 3xx series before filing any new feature requests.  Enjoy the July 4th weekend!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.