Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

We find that many of our clients dont use our Polycom VVX500 phones and use their mobiles becauses it conveneient because they have all their contacts.

I have searched and have not found a solution where we can import CSV or XLS document into the phone directory.

Is there an option that I am missing?

I have connected to the Phones WebUI and no luck.

Please help if you have a solution.

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello hel10z,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Jan 6, 2012 Question: How can I create a local directory or what is the 000000000000-directory.xml used for?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Above explains how to use a XML file to provision the phones directory.

It also has a link to an unsupported Perl script to automate this from a CSV file.

The Corporate directory also can be considered.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

This is way, way to hard for the average user to do! They should be able to do this through the phones web interface. Go to a screen where they can upload a .cvs file. Also, have the ability for them to download a .csv file through the phone as a guide. 

HP Recommended

Hello KL,

Whilst this may be true for a handful of individual users the focus at present is for the mass market purchasing our phones.

A large deployment will always utilize professional solutions like LDAP or use the current method of using a <mac>-directory.xml file.

The FAQ post  already provided above explains this in detail and even has a link to an unsupported Perl script that automates this process for an end user.

If you or others would like to see the import facility you must raise this via your Polycom reseller as a feature request via a Polycom sales engineer and provide a business proposal why this would be required.

Above is required in order to track this internally within Polycom and evaluate the request and prioritize this based on the feasibility and the general impact on other features.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you SteffenBaierUK for the reply.

I will give it a go but yes it difficult.

I will be able to do it BUT we are a services office with 200 clients, each client wants there Mobile contacts synced to the Polycom phone so this will use up LOTS of my time 😞

But thank you

HP Recommended

I agree with other users that contacts management is way too difficult compared to other phones.  I have spent all night trying to get provisioning to work.  My VVX 500 just will not look at the FTP server on reboot or restart. I have followed every guide I can find. It is not easy and documentation is not clear.    

I decided that I would just set up one phone with a handful of contacts in it and then export the configuration files to disk so I could read in XML details of contacts into other phones, but there are no contacts in any of the exported files.  

I then thought that a phone backup would certainly contain everything I have entered into the first phone.  Because what is a phone backup without backing up everything?  So I did a full backup of one phone and loaded this into another phone to see if it would have all the contacts in there.  Unfortunately it had nothin!  

Why is this so hard ?

Why cant I just use the web interface to dump the provisioning files of one phone into a place on my harddrive, then I could modify them and use it again to load them in on another.  Hopefully then it would also pick up this 00000-directory.xml too.  In fact why cant I just select a directory.cfg file that has xml markup of contacts like the provisioning server one.  I shouldnt have to now at 2 am in the morning try to learn how to run a Perl script to read in an XML of contacts when it should be as simple as export/import - shouldnt it ?

I forgot to ask - it has been over 2 years since the last post on this - has Polycom gotten anywhere with this?

HP Recommended

Hello ChrisC,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

No this is still the case.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended
Hi-
Has this been fixed? We are using vonage and they are telling us we have to manually put each contact in each phone? Seems crazy.
Anyone know how this can be done with Vonage
HP Recommended

*You need to be a Broadworks administrator for your Vonage Account for this to work. This can be done at the Enterprise or Group level depending on your admin level and desired access to this phone list.*

Paste your numbers into a text file in the following manner. no extra spaces or characters.

"Name","Number"
"Jane B Doe","3015551231"
"Jane M Doe","3015551232"
"Jane W Doe","3015551233"
"John B Doe","3015551234"
"John D Doe","3015551235"
"John Y Doe","3015551236"

Select Save As

File name: file.csv  {name file as you like, just make sure it has .csv ext}

Save as type: All Files(*.*)  {this is important as if it is left as is it will add .txt extension to file name.}

Select the location of your preference and hit Save.

Sign into Broadworks from the myvoice.vonage.com portal. {use your admin credentials}.

For Enterprise Level:

Go to Utilities>Common Phone List

For Group Level:

Go to Group>Utilities>Common Phone List

Select Import Phone List.

Click Choose File.

Navigate the file created in the first step.

Click Open

Click Apply (to save) or OK (to save and close Import page)

Assuming you you have the Common directory enabled on your phone the list will be available in either Enterprise Directory Common or Group Directory Common depending on where you added it.

Hope this helps. Na Zdrowie!

HP Recommended

hi - just saw this what is Broadworks Admin and how to do we get it? We have Vonage Business Cloud at the moment?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.