Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

background: A few years ago Polycom implimented firmware that was't backwards compatible.

I'm attempting to update a "Soundpoint IP 670" to the latest 4.0 firmware but am running into a problem.

"image is not compatible with the phone"

ftp directory:

-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           1699 Oct 16  2012 000000000000.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root            680 May 29  2007 000000000000-directory~.xml
-rw-r--r--  1 PlcmSpIp2 PlcmSpIp2    522798 Sep 20 16:49 0004f221hu9o-app.log
-rw-r--r--  1 PlcmSpIp2 PlcmSpIp2     99643 Sep 20 17:17 0004f221hu9o-boot.log
-rw-r--r--  1 PlcmSpIp2 root            739 Sep 18 19:58 0004f221hu9o-phone.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           4726 Aug  8  2008 Beach256x116.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          29856 Mar 19  2008 BeachEM.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           8453 Mar 19  2008 Beach.jpg
drwxr-xr-x  2 root      root           4096 Apr 18 13:34 Config
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           5040 Aug  8  2008 Jellyfish256x116.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           7258 Mar 19  2008 JellyfishEM.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          10552 Mar 19  2008 Jellyfish.jpg
drwxr-xr-x  2 root      root           4096 Apr 18 13:34 languages
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           7942 Aug  8  2008 Leaf256x116.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          21401 Mar 19  2008 LeafEM.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          16210 Mar 19  2008 Leaf.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root         127966 Feb 12  2010 LoudRing.wav
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           9075 Aug  8  2008 Mountain256x116.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          19099 Mar 19  2008 MountainEM.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          18584 Mar 19  2008 Mountain.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          14091 Aug  8  2008 Palm256x116.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          31212 Mar 19  2008 PalmEM.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          34504 Mar 19  2008 Palm.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           4604 Apr 17 12:05 ReadMe.txt
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root           9036 Aug  8  2008 Sailboat256x116.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          28811 Mar 19  2008 SailboatEM.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          22218 Mar 19  2008 Sailboat.jpg
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root      194873256 Apr 22 16:07 sip.ld
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root             14 Apr 17 23:08 sip.ver
drwxr-xr-x 21 root      root           4096 Apr 18 13:34 SoundPointIPLocalization
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          95926 Jul 30  2003 SoundPointIPWelcome.wav
-rw-r--r--  1 root      root          31700 Apr 17  2010 Warble.wav

0004f221hu9o-phone.cfg

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>
<PHONE_CONFIG>
<OVERRIDES
voIpProt.SIP.specialEvent.checkSync.alwaysReboot="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.address.overrideDHCP="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.gmtOffset.overrideDHCP="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.daylightSavings.enable="1"
tcpIpApp.sntp.address="its a secret"
feature.8.name="calllist-missed"
feature.8.enabled="0"
up.analogHeadsetOption="1"
voice.volume.persist.handsfree="1"
voice.volume.persist.handset="1"
voice.volume.persist.headset="1"
msg.mwi.1.callBack="299"
msg.mwi.1.callBackMode="contact"
tcpIpApp.sntp.gmtOffset="its a secret"
reg.1.server.1.address="its a secret"
reg.1.auth.password="its a secret"
reg.1.label="500"
reg.1.address="500"
reg.1.auth.userId="500"
reg.1.displayName="500"
/>

I read the directions, there is no longer a sip.cfg there as the new way does not like that file. This is just the straight 4.0 firmware and the phone specific file, which the documentation claims is still valid.

I am not in front of the phone so unfortunatly cant run the mill of trial and error that is usually acocmpanied with something of this nature.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello FixIt,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

I can only remind you again of the existence of the Polycom community's FAQ.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Jan 04, 2013 Question: What does the message "Image is not compatible" mean?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

When attempting to download the new UCS 4.x.x Software a disclaimer like below is shown:

1) Before you can successfully install UC Software 4.0.x onto phones running Polycom® UCS released prior to version 4.0.0, you must perform a required upgrade procedure using the Polycom® Upgrader 4.0.0 Utility.

Before you download and install Polycom® UC Software version 4.0.x or higher, Polycom strongly recommends that you review the changes to the upgrade procedures detailed in the Polycom® UC Software 4.0.0 Administrators’ Guide or newer and Engineering Advisory 64731 Polycom® UC Software 4.0.0: Upgrade and Downgrade Methods.

Above disclaimer needs to be accepted before you can download the actual software and explains that the procedure to upgrade to UCS 4.x.x or higher no longer utilizes the familiar BootROM / SIP combination.

In order to be able to upgrade the additional Upgrader / Updater needs to be downloaded.

Please check this FAQ post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?

and you may also want to look at this:

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

The directory structure you have posted only contains the sip.ld file and the phone is unable to flash this new application on the phone as it is missing its Updater/BootROM files.

In addition the 0004f221hu9o-phone.cfg contains old incompatible parameters which you should no longer use since the introduction of UCS 3.3.0.

I believe these where manually added to the -phone.cfg file which is a bad practice as the phone creates this file to store overwrite values.

In addition since UCS 3.3.0 the phone also creates its own -web.cfg foe any changes made via the Web Interface.

Please use the cfcUtility as described in the FAQ.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks very much sir, I'll read over all of the materials you have generously provided.

"these where manually added to the -phone.cfg file which is a bad practice as the phone creates this file to store overwrite values"

Our provisioning program writes to these files for the purposes of configuring phones. It has allowed us to deploy thousands of polycom phones quickly. Without it, our business would collapse under the weight of extra work manually configuring each one. I would be very open to alternatives however.

Question: Are you suggesting that we manually provision them? If not, how can a fleet of phones be mass-configured if not by the -phone.cfg file?

"the phone creates this file to store overwrite values"

By my understanding of the new firmware, the phone new uses a new file for manual edits via the web interface called "-web.cfg", however the "-phone.cfg" takes priority.

"old incompatible parameters which you should no longer use since the introduction of UCS 3.3.0."

I searched and hunted, but the pertinent information was buried amongst a filler of marketing materials. Do you have a sheet which directly lists the corresponding values?

Thanks much,

HP Recommended

Hello FixIt,

when attempting to download any software since UCS 3.3.0 a disclaimer is shown:

With the release of UCS 3.3.0, the configuration files, their respective parameters and defaults, as well as the provisioning methods have been simplified and also extensively modified in comparison to prior releases. THESE CHANGES ARE NOT BACKWARD-COMPATIBLE with configuration parameters used in previous software releases. Before downloading and installing the software, Polycom strongly recommends that you become familiar with the changes described in the Administrator’s Guide for the Polycom® UC Software – 3.3.0 or newer and Technical Bulletin 60519 Simplified Configuration Improvements in Polycom® UC Software 3.3.0.

Above or similar statements, which you need to acknowledge before being able to download the software, require that you download and familiarize yourself with the changes mentioned above.

The UCS 3.3.0 and later release notes contain again this reminder and highlight the importance of of familiarization with these changes.

There are simply to many changed parameters and it is simpler to run "old" configuration files through the cfcUtility.

It is not recommended to run files containing parameters introduced since UCS 3.3.1 or newer through the cfcUtility as it is simply unaware of newer parameters and was only developed for usage of files before UCS 3.3.0 to be converted to UCS 3.3.0.

The FAQ contains the following posts:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

I have just updated above to make it hopefully more clear.

I highly recommend in addition to familiarize yourself with:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I use substitutions when I provisioning my Phones?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

In addition you may want to look at this script => here <=

As a final information please always ensure you are consulting the SIP / UCS admin guide matching your current software version.

You may also want to consider to contact your Polycom reseller to enable you to work with Polycom support directly or even utilize the Polycom professional services.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.