Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

After attempting to update an IP321 from 4.0.7.2514 to the latest available on the website (4.1.1) via TFTP, the phone is now stuck in a boot loop and will not connect to the provisioning server at all. It pops up saying "Could not download 0004F262EABF.cfg" then switches to "Error, application not present" and reboots. During this process, Wireshark shows no activity other than the DHCP requests. My TFTP/provisioning server logs show no activity from that phone indicating that its not connecting to the tftp server at all anymore.

I also tried pointing it back to the old tftp server with 4.0.7 on it, but since its not connecting, it doesnt seem to redownload/reconfigure. I also tried setting up an FTP server and pointed the phone to that instead, but again it does not connect.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello ALSC_Brad,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

I hav enever heard or experienced such issue where the phone would not connect and we would require a Support ticket to be raised.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I would try logging into the phone's BootROM and then completely wipe all settings and format the filesystem.  Then point it back at the old TFTP server with the 4.0.7 sip.ld image on it and see if it finally accepts it.

By the way, 4.0.7 is NEWER than 4.1.1.  4.0.7 was released in July, and 4.1.1 was released in June.

4.1.x is the Polycom UC software series that is exclusively intended to be used on SoundPoint IP phones that are part of a Microsoft Lync environment.  4.0.x is the Polycom UC software series that is intended to be used on SoundPoint IP phones that are in a pure SIP environment.  If you aren't using Lync, you shouldn't be "upgrading" to 4.1.1.  Both the 4.0.x and 4.1.x branches of UC are being maintained in parallel by Polycom.

Polycom, please change your software versioning strategy.  It's pretty evident by now that using 4.0 and 4.1 in order to distinguish between Lync and non-Lync releases was a bad idea and is massively confusing to your customers.  As a result, I see people on these forums make this exact same mistake All. The. Time.  They all see 4.1.x and immediately assume that it is a "newer" version because the minor revision number is higher.  It might have been better to call one release UC-SIP and the other UC-Lync, or something to that effect.

Better yet, why not just merge Lync support into the mainline UC tree for SoundPoint IP like you have done for VVX, rather than maintain two separate releases?  Enable Lync support with a software key, or something.

-- Nathan

HP Recommended

Hello NathanA,

A pre requisite for anyone simply updating to another software version should always be to consult the release notes first in order to determine if the update is actually applicable to the users setup.

The release notes for the SPIP / SSIP UCS 4.1.x software clearly state:

• Polycom UC Software 4.1.1 is for use with Microsoft® Lync Server and using a single registered line only.

If the above is ignored or neglected than we as a Manufacturer can do little to prevent this.

Stating the above I have raised this internally to make this clearer on the Support page and possibly introduce a pop up when upgrading via the web interface.

In addition utilizing LYNC with our phones does require a license.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

A pre requisite for anyone simply updating to another software version should always be to consult the release notes first in order to determine if the update is actually applicable to the users setup.

I totally agree, and I know where you are coming from.  You guys did document this, and at some point it definitely becomes your users' responsibility to educate themselves and to read all of the provided documentation.

If the above is ignored or neglected than we as a Manufacturer can do little to prevent this.

Some users will always choose to remain ignorant of the facts, yes...perhaps even willfully.  But there are certain things that a manufacturer can to do help actively offset this kind of confusion.  For example, if instead of calling the Lync-compatible series of firmwares UC 4.1, which at first glance certainly seems to SUGGEST that it is a newer *global* release of UC, Polycom could have instead chosen to release Lync and SIP editions of UC software with version number parity...as in, version the Lync releases as 4.0.x-Lync instead of 4.1.x without any designator.  Then always release new SIP and Lync releases in parallel with each other.  In this hypothetical scenario, when 4.0.8 comes out, Polycom would release 4.0.8-SIP and 4.0.8-Lync.  Then there would be much less ambiguity about software "newness" and applicability to a particular environment.  Would some people still likely ignore the designator and download and install the wrong firmware for their environment anyway?  Certainly.  But I would be willing to bet money that the number of people doing that would be a whole lot less than the number of people who see a 4.1.x version number and go, "ooooh, a newer general release!"

Also, again, I continue to be confused why with the SPIP line of phones Polycom insists on "forking" Lync support to a separate release cycle anyway, when this is not done with VVX.  Folding the Lync support back into the main release would instantly solve these kinds of problems.

Don't get me wrong: Polycom can choose to run their business however they want.  But in my personal opinion, you guys are just setting yourself up for more support headaches than you would otherwise have.  If you want to waste time re-educating people over and over again about the differences between 4.0 and 4.1 ad nauseam, then that's Polycom's prerogative... 🙂

-- Nathan

HP Recommended

Hello NathanA,

I have made the relevant people aware of this and other discussions.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.