Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have received my first Polycom phones and have had a very frustrating experience getting them configured.  

I attempted to use FTP configuration but the phones after being provided the correct FTP credentials indicate there is no configuration server there.  I have extracted the zip file for 4.1.0.84959 (Polycom_UC_Software_4_1_0_Rev_I_release_sig_split.zip 38156KB) to the root of the FTP server.  The instructions say that the config folder should contain templates however it does not and the readme file is no help.  I did get the phones to register to our SIP Trunk after gussing multiple different configurations using the Web GUI and getting around the confusing multiple server fields on both the sip tab and the line tab and virtually no documentation explaing the fields.  Not to mention the fact that the phone reboots after settings on each tab are change requiring 3 reboots instead of one!  You really should provide either documentation that works or some configuration software because this is a nightmare.  I understand version 4 improves the web GUI but the phones will not update because either the instructions or the .zip file are in error.  If there is a workable way to update these phones please let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We have done further testing using DHCP.  If we format the filesystem and delete local config and web config it would pickup the DHCP credentials.  Something happens where the phones ignore the credentials in DHCP and the only way to fix it we have found is to format and reset.  Once we started formatting phones when they didn't behave as they should we were able to provision the phones.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello TS79,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Places like the Feature Descriptions & Technical Notificationspage hold for example the Registering Standalone Polycom® SoundPoint® IP, SoundStation® IP, and VVX® 1500 Phones guide => here <=

You are correct that the UCS 4.1.0 does not contain any files in the \Config Sub Directory and I will check this with the relevant internal team.

Please be aware that the UCS 4.1.0 software is for LYNC only as mentioned in the Disclaimer when downloading.

In addition the community's VoIP FAQ contains this post's here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Above explains how to upgrade the software in detail. If you are using a SIP server then I recommend UCS 4.0.4

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I register or is my Polycom Phone compatible with a “XYZ” SIP Server?

Above explains how to register the phone to a server. Using this post and adding all the relevant details will not cause the phone to reboot.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I am trying to revisit this and am unable for the life of me to get these phones to upgrade. I have followed the instructions to the letter and the version numbers will not change.  They will log onto the server but they never download anything and just time out.  As a test I put phone1 config file on ftp and the phone would load the config file but it will not download the bootROM or the UC update.

DHCP Option 66 is ftp://PlcmSpip:PlcmSpip@192.168.55.120

option 160: 192.168.55.120

current config:

status, application, components, version3.1.4.0055 bootblock 2.8.1 sip 3.1.3.0507

Here are the instructions I followed:

I downloaded SoundPoint_IP_BootROM_4_4_0B_Upgrader_release_sig.zip and Polycom_UC_Software_4_0_1_rts73_P_release_sig_combined.zip

copied:

000000...cfg

2345-12360-001.bootrom.ld

sip.ld

sip.ver

rebooted phone

Also tried with bootrom.ld 

None of these actions produce any change.  I have tried so many combinations of downloads and ftp settings.  It is amazing to me that these phones will not update, will not leave a log.  It must be the wrong files but those are the files your documentation say to use.  Can you throw me a bone here please?  I've literally spent all day on this and am fit to explode.

HP Recommended

Hello TS79,,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 17, 2011 Question: How can change Logging Levels or use Syslog?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Above or a Wireshark Trace could be used to verify if the phone is even connecting to the provisioning server.

If you follow above post exactly it explains to enable write and append on the FTP server and that should be sufficient ofr logs to be writte.

I suggest you Factory Default the Phone and Format the File System and then start from scratch following above provisioning post.

Please ensure you always check the community FAQ and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up post’s.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.  I had been to those links several times already.  The problem was not with the files as I suspected before but apparantly with FileZilla.  Despite all of the settings being configured correctly and despite being able to connect to the FTP server from another comptuer the phone wouldn't download anything from it (it would connect).  We discovered this by using wireshark and testing with a GoDaddy FTP server.

We tried using DHCP options to point to GoDaddy with no luck however when we MANUALLY set the config server and credentials into the phone (had to change the FTP server password for GoDaddy because there are many characters the phone will not input) it did connect.  We then tried manually pointing to the local FileZilla Server - again no joy.  

We downloaded another FTP Server (XLight FTP Server) and this time everything worked with manually configured provisioning server.  Tomorrow I will test DHCP options to see if this can be gotten to work for the rest of the phones.

The real clincher in all this is that the phone successfully logged onto the FileZilla FTP server it just never downloaded or uploaded anything.  Looking at the WireShark dump did not show any denies from the FTP server and we could not find any requests from the phone.  Just kept logging on and going passive.  Also when I went to manually set the FTP server in the phone it listed 3 random characters for one of the phones which was not the server name in DCHP.

HP Recommended

We have done further testing using DHCP.  If we format the filesystem and delete local config and web config it would pickup the DHCP credentials.  Something happens where the phones ignore the credentials in DHCP and the only way to fix it we have found is to format and reset.  Once we started formatting phones when they didn't behave as they should we were able to provision the phones.

HP Recommended

Hello TS79,

the easiest thing to do is to setup a spanned port and run a wireshark trace.

All communication between the Phone and your DHCP Server and the FTP Server can be seen in clear text and you should be able to check for any changes in the trace.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.