Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to find the answer to this questions for weeks and just can't seem to find anyone who even mentions the issue on any message board.

Our company uses  SoundPoint IP560 phones and happens to have about 10 units of surplus. We have a number of employees that work from home and we would like to give them one of the suplus phones to use in conjunction with one of the low cost VOIP providers out there such as MagicJack, Ooma or even vonage. Unfortunately all of their equipment has Rj11 female jacks and the IP560 uses an RJ45... I found cables that have a Male RJ45 jack on one end and a male RJ11 on he other (Gino Telephone RJ11 6P4C to RJ45 8P8C Connector Plug Cable).

My question is: does anyone know if this will work? Or, has anyone solved this problem before and found a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello Mike,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Our Phones are VoIP phones that require at least a Ethernet connection (if no PoE) plus a power supply.

Usually you would find this as least on the back of a router.

What you describe sounds like a PSTN analog line and you will not be able to use our phones with this service without providing a VoIP service.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Thank you for your quick reply.

The services I described are VoIP services that provide customers with their own pre-configured equioment to access their service. SInce they where originally conceived as "consumer" services their equipment id not designed for IP phones, rather it offers RJ11 ports to connect old fashion phones that are tipically found in a home.

In the case of Magic Jack they provide customers with a small USB device that connects to the computer and has an RJ11 port on the other end to connect a phone (alternativelly you can use a soft phone).

Ooma provides a "router-like" box that has 2 RJ45 ports and 2 RJ11 ports in a very similar fashion as what the SoundPoint IP560. Just like on the IP560 one RJ45 is used to connect to the internet and the second for the PC (or a wireless router in the case of the Ooma device) to get Internet connection through the Phone/device. On the IP560 the 2 RJ11's are used for the handset and headphones while in the case of Ooma the 2 additional RJ11 ports are used to connect the phones (line 1 and Line 2).

Because these are VoIP services I am inclined to believe that the IP560 should work with their service, however these services have found a way to make the VoIP service available to a regular phone, therefore all the VoIP configuration information and provisioning is probably pre-programmed in their equipment. What has me thinking that this should work is that at our office we have 12 IP560 units on dedicated RJ45 netwrok lines going to a dedicated network switch that connects to the PBX system (Talkswitch/Fortivoice). The PBX is then connected to a router from our VOIP provider via RJ11 lines (one per telefone line) so at some point the signal travels through regular RJ11 lines.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have found various devices and cables that are designed to connect RJ45 on one end and convert to RJ11, I just don't understand this technology enough to know if that is enough for the phone to allow me to use the service.

These companies provide very affordable and easy to use VoIP service hence my interest in using them.

I hope the additional explanation is helpful.

Regards,

Michael

HP Recommended

Hello Mike,

again, our phones will only work with a Ethernet connection and will not work with any adapter you describe.

If the providers you are using a a SIP VoIP provider and they give you the credentials then you can utilize the FAQ Post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Can I register or is my Polycom Phone compatible with a “XYZ” SIP Server?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

If you do not have above describer credentials then you will not be able to use the phones and have to continue using analog phones.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Your Majic Jack solution will not work.  However, assuming you have a typical router connected to the computer you are plugging Majic Jack into, you should be able to plug the phone into one of those ehternet ports for connectivity back to your phone system.  If you don't have a spare port, place a small switch between the Router and the Computer (assuming router does DHCP) and connect it to one of those ports.

Of course, the more difficult problem will be getting it to register to your VOIP system, but that is another topic.

HP Recommended

Steffen,

thank you for your reply.

I apologize as I had not understood the absolute nature of the ethernet connection limitations from your post.

I believe this second message answers my question . Thanks

HP Recommended

Todd,

thank you very much for the suggestion, I guess you figured out that I am a tinkerer. I will prepare for the arduos task of getting the VOIP registration information from one of the two providers (or other tinkerer using their service) and if successful will try your solution. I will post my results if I succeed.

Again thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.