Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

The goal was to create a "Front Lobby" Common Area Phone using an older VVX500 connected to the Teams SIP Gateway.  I don't think this issue has anything to do with the Teams SIP Gateway - and is more just a licensing issue around Common Area Phones.  

Poly VVX 500

UC Software Version 5.9.6.2327
Updater Version 5.9.7.38223

Teams SIP Gateway

This was done successfully using this article:

Using compatible Poly IP phones to sign into Microsoft Teams SIP Gateway

The problem is, I think we're over-licensed for the phone.  I purchased the Common Area Phone license for the project and thought that was all that was needed.  However, I asked my colleague to grab an available phone number in Teams for the test, and, unbeknownst to me, he wasn't able to do so and added a Microsoft Teams Phone Standard license to the new user to get the number. 

The good news is that the phone works.  The bad news is that the "Front Lobby" user has both a Teams Phone Standard license as well as a Common Area License.  I think this means we're paying twice what we need to.   

Set up the Common Area Phone license - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Manage phone numbers for your organization - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Aren't as clear as I'd like in answering this question.  

Besides the Common Area Phone license, what other license is needed for a non-Intune managed phone?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

We ended up working with the Teams Direct Routing reseller (CallTower) and got it straightened out.  Now it's correctly licensed.  

Makes me wonder about setting a CCX500 into Generic Mode and using it for basic SIP - as opposed to the Teams Config - because the performance is so slow in Teams Mode.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

We ended up working with the Teams Direct Routing reseller (CallTower) and got it straightened out.  Now it's correctly licensed.  

Makes me wonder about setting a CCX500 into Generic Mode and using it for basic SIP - as opposed to the Teams Config - because the performance is so slow in Teams Mode.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.