Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

After changing over our x50 to Teams which is what we wanted it for, and how it was sold to us as we already have teams licensing across the board, now the content HDMI input that goes to the x50 seems not to display anything plugged into it, unless in an active Microsoft Teams meeting. So now it seems I will have to run an additional HDMI through the conduit up to the table and install a second HDMI input into the table while telling users when you just want to use the TV plug into this one, when you want to do a teams meeting plug into this one.

There must be a way around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What an horrible answer. This is plugged into Poly equipment. This is an hardware issue. Par for the course for Poly in my experience though when it comes to Microsoft Teams.

Laptop plugs into Poly hardware that could with simple logic pass-through an HDMI connection when a meeting is not active.

Poly response "hey go talk to Microsoft"

All this has shown me after buying equipment for 8 rooms is that I will never use Poly again for anything.  There is virtually no support, and any time any blame can be cast anywhere else it is.

Talk to a poly engineer before buying they tell you the cabling you need, you are specific about what you want it to do.  Come to implementation and their own engineers are wrong about everything.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello @DSM ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

I suggest you check this FAQ entry here:

June 30, 2020 Question: Is there an overview of supported features running a Poly G7500 or Studio X50/X30 Poly Video OS Partner App mode?
Resolution: Please check >here<

Our Partner Microsoft is working on these features with their Teams Android Application for collaborations bars as shown >here<

I suggest you work with Microsoft on this for any more details.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

What an horrible answer. This is plugged into Poly equipment. This is an hardware issue. Par for the course for Poly in my experience though when it comes to Microsoft Teams.

Laptop plugs into Poly hardware that could with simple logic pass-through an HDMI connection when a meeting is not active.

Poly response "hey go talk to Microsoft"

All this has shown me after buying equipment for 8 rooms is that I will never use Poly again for anything.  There is virtually no support, and any time any blame can be cast anywhere else it is.

Talk to a poly engineer before buying they tell you the cabling you need, you are specific about what you want it to do.  Come to implementation and their own engineers are wrong about everything.

HP Recommended

There is nothing I wish more than to return all of my Poly equipment. If anyone comes here looking at Poly for Microsoft Teams..RUN!

HP Recommended

Hello @DSM ,

I am unsure who provided you with the information and if they are employed by Poly but you should not assume just because the hardware in Poly OS mode can do it a partner like Microsoft automatically supports this.

When the Poly Studio runs in Team mode the Microsoft Teams application is the application presented.

Initially, there was no support for HDMI in and no support for a 2nd Monitor via this application. Our Partner Microsoft is now planning to implement this in a later timeline.

@mshu1  and I have shared this with you already and you will need to work with Microsoft on the timeline for this.

I have also shared a table that explains what is currently supported and what not. As you can hopefully see other providers already have support for this in their Android Application which simply shows the gap in features from the Microsoft end.

Support for issues as such is provided following this up directly with us but in this case, it is not a Poly issue.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I don't want support for a second monitor. I want to use the hdmi input.

It was a poly employee and your response is precisely why I won't recommend Poly to anyone nor buy any of their products again.

I don't have a second monitor in this room with the X50, nor will I ever.

My HDMI cable that allows for a laptop to plugin and display on the only monitor plugs directly into the X50. When a Teams meeting is not active this input will not work. This could have easily been fixed by Poly, but instead you pass the buck to Microsoft and turn my question into a second monitor question then point me to supposed answers which have no answers.

HP Recommended

This is not Poly fault! Poly delivers a plattform for different cloud services and they choose the feature-set they want to support on their app. Nothing else!

When you buy a Samsung smartphone and install a navigation software and you expect something special from this app which does not work, do you blame Samsung for that? I think not! 

HP Recommended

Hello @DSM ,

I would suggest you will need to take this up with the Poly employee who made this statement to you and you based your purchase on this.

From day 1 we stated what we can support when in Teams mode and whatnot and document this >here< which is taken of our support site.

As already outlined by @mshu1  our Partner Microsoft in this case either restrict features and/or needs to add support to their own application to have this functionality.

A Studio X in Poly OS mode has all the features you want. Once it is switched into Microsoft Teams mode it will only support what our partner Microsoft allows it to support and can support with their application.

Our partners "choose" features they want to support potentially based on other solutions they have in their portfolio as not to compete with these.

In the case of the HDMI in and the 2nd monitor option amongst others, our partner Microsft has chosen to support this in a newer version currently planned for Q4/2020

As I am not aware who the Poly employee is that you based your assumption on I am unable to comment on their knowledge.

There are many resellers around who know our solutions and potential restrictions around these.

The functionality is not restricted by us aka Poly but at present by our Partner Microsoft.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

No need to go to Microsoft for something that isn't their issue. I will install an HDMI switch prior to the input on the X50 studio bar that is 10 dollars since Poly couldn't solve this cheap forseeable issue themselves.

We want to get into the Teams market.  Microsoft's software doesn't currently support using the input to output when not in a meeting.

I know, lets just use some simple switch logic on the hardware.

"Nah, let's just blame it on Microsoft and don't worry about the customer".

None of your replies were helpful. Half of them didn't even pay attention to the issue.

Also Poly "Lets tell people our G7500 work fine with RealConnect for Microsoft Teams. After they have it for a while and get some free licenses for us after they paid for all the hardware, let's then make sure they won't work with Teams unless they re-up their realconnect licenses for thousands of dollars per year. 

"Yeah! We make more money and then we can act like it's no big deal it works fine with Teams".

Also Poly, here buy our support package at this level, then when they call in, let's just tell them tough nuts and go contact the reseller even after they have had the hardware for only a month or two.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.