Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Before the 3.10.0 firmware, our Zoom Rooms based on the Poly Studio X50 would, after use, enter a mode where a black signal was sent to all displays in the room via the HDMI outputs of the Poly Studio X50. So, in the eyes of our end-users, the displays appeared to "turn off" automatically.

When an end-user wished to resume use of the Zoom Room, he or she would simply touch the Poly TC8 controller and -- Voila! -- the displays in the room would "light up" again and display our standard Zoom Rooms graphics. Everybody was happy.

Then the 3.10.0 firmware arrived. In the release notes, we learn:

"The display setting in the system web interface no longer provides an option to display a black screen when the system enters sleep mode. When the system enters sleep mode, No Signal displays on the screen."

Here is the result: All our newer model Samsung displays, connected to the Poly Studio X50, RUDELY POWER OFF... COMPLETELY... EACH TIME THE SYSTEM ENTERS SLEEP MODE.

(Samsung displays have a secret menu that one can access--see YouTube--that allows one to gain access to a complex service technician menu to DISABLE the auto-shutoff upon sensing no signal, but this is a major technical support headache when one is talking about multiple Zoom Rooms.)

I am still in SHOCK... total shock... that Poly did this with this 3.10.0 firmware with NO EXPLANATION.

I'm sorry, Poly, but this was a BAD MOVE. I would have appreciated some advance notice of you intending to do this because you've wrecked a good number of my Zoom Rooms with this firmware.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FYI, I raised the issue with Zoom. Lara Gimpes, Zoom technical support, explained the Poly Studio X50 setting regarding no signal/black video is not relevant for the following reason: black video -- when the Studio X50 is in Zoom Rooms mode -- is a function of the Zoom app rather than the X50 firmware.

So, according to Ms. Gimpes, the decision to remove the black video as a sleep option in the Poly Studio X50 firmware 3.10.0 was merely a "cosmetic" decision since the Zoom app actually produces the black video.

Unfortunately, the Zoom app (5.9.4) seems to no longer support black video mode.

Bug or deliberate decision by Zoom?

It isn't yet clear. I would guess it's a bug. I've asked Zoom's team to restore the black video mode feature.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Studio X50 User ,

Welcome back to the Poly community.

Some or a couple of your old post(s) or reply(s) to them >here< are still open/pending as you have not marked these as "Accept as a solution" or at least provide some form of feedback or answer.

If they are in this state nobody finding them via a community search will know if an answer or advice provided was useful and has maybe helped you.

Could you therefore kindly go over them and mark or answer as appropriate?

If they are marked as "Accept as a solution" other users can find these easier and it helps them to utilize the community more efficiently.

Please do not simply mark them without any type of feedback. 

For your new issue, the change for Zoom was on purpose due to the Zoom Device Operation Time. To my knowledge, this was a request by Zoom.

You can echo your complaint here but as this is an open community run by volunteers no action would be taken.

Two options:

1. Downgrade to 3.9.1
    or
  2. Raise this with Zoom and our support organisation

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

FYI, I raised the issue with Zoom. Lara Gimpes, Zoom technical support, explained the Poly Studio X50 setting regarding no signal/black video is not relevant for the following reason: black video -- when the Studio X50 is in Zoom Rooms mode -- is a function of the Zoom app rather than the X50 firmware.

So, according to Ms. Gimpes, the decision to remove the black video as a sleep option in the Poly Studio X50 firmware 3.10.0 was merely a "cosmetic" decision since the Zoom app actually produces the black video.

Unfortunately, the Zoom app (5.9.4) seems to no longer support black video mode.

Bug or deliberate decision by Zoom?

It isn't yet clear. I would guess it's a bug. I've asked Zoom's team to restore the black video mode feature.

HP Recommended

I'm a little late to the game but this functionality doesn't work in Zoom Rooms mode, never has. For displays where CEC doesn't seem to work very well; I have gotten around it is by setting using a black image as digital signage/screen saver (kicks in 5 mins after a meeting and turns off 10 mins prior) during business hours. For after hours I use the business hours setting and I also confirm that CEC is enabled under the monitor settings. 

For commercial displays (far better choice) I set the business hours from 10:55p/10:50p. This forces the system & displa to go to sleep after 3 mins. I implmented this at the begining of Covid because it made no sense to have displays on when no one was in the office, it worked so well that I left it place when everyone returned. I also used Trio C60s as controllers and their prescence detection would wake up the display & the X50 whenver someone walked into the room. 

Hope this helps.

James

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.