Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Good day,

Setup:

a) In our main office, we have a Polycom HDX 7000 which is connected to a monitor.

HDX 7000 -> DVI/HDMI adapter -> HDMI cable -> monitor

A notebook is also connected to the HDX 7000 in order to share content.

notebook -> HDMI cable -> DVI/HDMI adapter -> DHX 7000

b) In our subsidary A, we have a RealPresence Group 300 connected to a TV.

RealPresence Group 300 -> HDMI cable -> TV

c) In subsidary B, a notebook is installed with RealPresence Desktop application.

Situation/Problem::

Whenever there is a video-conference, subsidary A and B will call in to main office.

There is no problem with this, main office can see and hear both subsidary A and B; vice-versa.

When main office shares contents from the notebook,

subsidary B (RealPresence Desktop) is able see the shared contents.

However, for subsidary A (RealPresence Group 300), a message "Receving Content" is shown briefing on the TV, then a gray screen is displayed. The PIP (camera view of our main office) is working and can be seen on TV. It is just the content from the notebook cannot be displayed.

1. Subsidary A said that they were able to view shared content before. But they cannot remember when exactly the problem occurs. And they only reported the problem much, much later.

2. I was not involved in the initial setup nor the maintainance of the system. So I cannot be sure whether someone changed the settings on HDX 7000 that cause this problem.

3. I understand that RealPresence Group 300 cannot share content directly and need to use People+Content IP installed on a notebook. 

But RealPresence Group 300 should be able to receive contents from anther Polycom device, correct?

4. Based on what I described, it is possible to narrow down where the problem might lies?

- firewall settings?

- the DVI/HDMI adapters?

- HDX 7000's settings?

Thank you for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

1- For the share content issue, can you use Polycom Content App  connect with HDX 7000 when sharing content.  I have not tried it before, then you shoud try ?

2- For my case, HDX 7000 upgraded to 3.1.x then problem solved. ( 2.x.x to 3.0.x not work) .

3- You still can check firmware of Group 300 by remote - Administration- System information.

4- You can buy a flash of HDX7000 with firmware 3.1.x from ...ebay, i guess, i have replaced it many times.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, i met this issue before . The cause is HDX 7000 has lower firmware ( 2.x.x )  that is not compatible with Polycom group 500 ( firmware 6.1.2) . So what is the firmware version of your main office HDX 7000 ?

HP Recommended
Hi hiep.nguyen The HDX 7000's system software is 3.0.4-20259. Unfortunately, warranty for HDX 7000 has already expired so firmware cannot be updated. I currently don't have access to Group 300. But Group 300 was purchased in Jun 2013. So the firmware should be from that period. As far as I know, no firmware upgrade has be done on Group 300. Methods I have tried and failed. 1) Disabled firewall policy for Group 300 (external) -> HDX 7000 (internal). 2) Changed cable type for HDX 7000 and notebook. - HDX 7000 -> DVI cable -> monitor - HDX 7000 -> DVI/VGA adapter -> VGA cable -> monitor - notebook -> VGA cable -> DVI/VGA adapter -> DHX 7000 Others: 1) Could the Group 300 be faulty? There are times when Group 300 calls in to HDX 7000, video is OK for both side. But Group 300 cannot hear HDX 7000, HDX 7000 can hear Group 300. When this happens, there is not start-up sound when users turns on the Group 300. Group 300 needs to be restarted in order to fix the sound problem. Any more ideas on where to look into is much appreciated. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi hiep.nguyen

Sorry, repost as my earlier reply lost all formatting which makes it hard to read.

The HDX 7000's system software is 3.0.4-20259. Unfortunately, warranty for HDX 7000 has already expired so firmware cannot be updated.

I currently don't have access to Group 300. But Group 300 was purchased in Jun 2013. So the firmware should be from that period. As far as I know, no firmware upgrade has be done on Group 300.

Methods I have tried and failed.

1) Disabled firewall policy for Group 300 (external) -> HDX 7000 (internal).
2) Changed cable type for HDX 7000 and notebook.

- HDX 7000 -> DVI cable -> monitor

- HDX 7000 -> DVI/VGA adapter -> VGA cable -> monitor

- notebook -> VGA cable -> DVI/VGA adapter -> DHX 7000

Others:

1) Could the Group 300 be faulty? There are times when Group 300 calls in to HDX 7000, video is OK for both side. But Group 300 cannot hear HDX 7000, HDX 7000 can hear Group 300. When this happens, there is not start-up sound when users turns on the Group 300. Group 300 needs to be restarted in order to fix the sound problem.

Any more ideas on where to look into is much appreciated.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

1- For the share content issue, can you use Polycom Content App  connect with HDX 7000 when sharing content.  I have not tried it before, then you shoud try ?

2- For my case, HDX 7000 upgraded to 3.1.x then problem solved. ( 2.x.x to 3.0.x not work) .

3- You still can check firmware of Group 300 by remote - Administration- System information.

4- You can buy a flash of HDX7000 with firmware 3.1.x from ...ebay, i guess, i have replaced it many times.

HP Recommended

Hi hiep.nguyen

1) Good idea on the using Polycom Content App.

I've tired testing the Polycom Content App for other purpose not related to this issue.

But found the App to be too slow.

However, I will arrange another testing session with Group 300 and see if using the App works or not.

2) *Sigh*, so even with firmware 3.0.x, HDX 7000 is not compatible with Group 300. So that means content sharing was never even working with Group 300 in the first place.

Group 300 user insisted that it was working before. I think he probably confused with the older device which Group 300 replaced.

I will report back with my findings after my testing with Polycom Content App.

But in the mean time, other suggestions/solutions from other Polycom gurus are welcomed.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Hello @fal ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

A GroupSeries and a HDX uses Industrie standards and both are Polycom products so of course, you can share content between them.

There are a couple of caveats as some software versions may not be compatible due issues but as you explained this used to work so the only reason now for no longer working, in my own personal experience, would be a change in firewalls.

Please ensure you always check the FAQ's and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up posts.

• Jun 21,2014 Question: Are there specific Ports in my firewall that I need to open in order to utilize video conferencing?

Answer: Please check the relevant release notes or admin guide for your device under the section “Inbound and Outbound Ports” or "Port usage" => here <=. 

In addition check this FAQ post => here <= for more details and troubleshooting suggestions.

• Jun 21,2014 Question: What could be causing one way video or one way audio when utilizing video conferencing?

Answer: Please check the relevant release notes or admin guide for your device under the section “Inbound and Outbound Ports” or "Port usage" => here <= in order to open the relevant firewall ports.

In addition check this FAQ post => here <= for more details and troubleshooting suggestions.

If this fails and you need professional help please open a ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to usually work with your Poly reseller as they need to do this for you.

End Customers are nomally unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the late update. I finally had a chance to do more testing and here are the results.

Firewall

Steffen Baier suggested that it could be due to firewall setting.

I've allowed all inbound and outbound ports with no ports restrictions during the testing session.

However, RealPresence Group 300 is still unable to display shared contents from Polycom HDX 7000. So I can rule out firewall.

Polycom Content App

hiep.nguyen suggested to try Polycom Content App. I've installed 2 different version

- People + Content IP (ver1.3.515) -> old version

- Polycom Content App (ver1.3.1.71333)

However, RealPresence Group 300 is still unable to display shared contents from Polycom HDX 7000.

So, I guess, for now, the reason why RealPresence Group 300 is unable to display shared contents from Polycom HDX 7000 is due to older firmware of HDX 7000.

As such, I will mark hiep.nguyen as the accepted solution which is to upgrade the firmware of HDX 7000.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.