Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have a Real Presence Touch device for pairing with a Group Series, where I need to perform a factory reset.  The unit won't power on if the paperclip is inserted in the reset hole.  But it will power on if the paperclip is not inserted. But it comes up configured with an incorrect IP address that's not reachable.  So it's a Catch-22 situation.

I should add that the admin/password is unknown - so I can't get into the device to reconfigure it.  

Is there another way to reset the device?  Perhaps with a USB key or something like that?  Or perhaps powered on by some AC Adapter?  

They're not under warranty anymore, so I'm not going to call a reseller for a replacement.  But it would be great to factory reset this unit.  Getting it connected to the internet might allow an upgrade that might fix this issue.  

Thanks for your suggestions.  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Adam_in_DC ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Is this the older one on a stand or the newer one?

What is the software version?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen:

I believe this is a newer model because it has a self contained stand and the screen rotates 180 degrees depending on whether you set it at a high profile or a low profile.

I was able to manually apply polycom-touch-release-2.2.2.8-434.tar to the unit via USB key.  However, I wasn't able to factory reset it during that time - it was just a straight upgrade, but the previous profile still holds.  Any action that requires me to press in the pin before powering the unit seems destined to fail because it simply won't power on while the pin is pressed.  If there were some action where I could power it on first - and then do something - that would have a better chance.  

I downloaded 2.2.2.7-431.tar so that I could go back and forth if needed.  

HP Recommended

Hello @Adam_in_DC 

not knowing the history of the device aka was this working before or is this a GA unit I can only ask you to follow this guide >here<

I suggest you download the polycom-touch-release-2.2.2.8-434.tar and place this in the root of a fat32 formatted USB Stick (32GB or less)

The restore button pinhole is on the back of the RealPresence Touch, as shown in the following figure.

Procedure

1. Disconnect the ethernet cable to power off the device.
  2. Using a pin or paper clip, insert it into the pin hole, and press and hold the factory restore button.
  3. Continue to hold the factory restore button for a full 5 seconds and connect the Ethernet cable.
  4. Keep the factory reset button pressed for a few more seconds
  5. The System Software is being updated, please wait message should appear
  6. Wait for the RealPresence Touch device to power on and display the setup wizard (also called the OOB, out-of-box wizard).
  7. Follow the instructions on the setup wizard.

When the process is complete, the device displays the splash screen and then the home screen.

If this fails it's a support call

Steffen

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.