Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm currently assisting in tech support for a client in which he is required to use "Polycom Video" for legal matters. A government court system, or someone who works there, apparently set this up for use and sent my client clear instructions on how to access the session for both the iPhone and Android versions of the app. He is not hosting any sessions, only told the instructions on how to download either of the apps, and to input the number and IP of the host. (Fake Example: 12356@127.0 0.1)

We have not tested it yet, but I assume after you "dial" or type in the correct information, you're connected and then you're all set to video chat. However, my client wants to video chat on the computer, NOT the mobile apps. 

So I'm thinking, no problem. I search a bit to find the website, and see there is indeed a Desktop version. However, apparently it's associated with a "trial" regardless of using it for "Enterprise" or "Individual." 

Going to "Enterprise" the steps are VERY similar to the steps laid out on the mobile apps. Until the part that says, "Skip server" which is available in the mobile app, but not the Desktop app.

Trying to setup the "Individual" part, requires there to eventually be a Trial purchased. We are simply using this per the instructions of the person who is hosting a room, not planning on creating a room or use any full fledged features.

My questions are:

• Why are the mobile apps free to use and clear cut, but the Desktop app suggests a trial?
  • In the Desktop app, is there a way to skip the "Connect to server" part like in the mobile apps?
  • Is there a separate app for the Desktop with less or "lite" features, just to connect to a host that lacks a "trial?"
  • Also, again, why do you have this setup like this? Why provide unrestricted access to "dial" in the Mobile app, but not in the Desktop app? Seems like a poor design choice that frustrates end-users and makes it more difficult for the paying clients who are hosting or setting this up for their business. Which also brings me to ask...
  • When the person who setup the server / client to connect to paid for this... Does that license key act as a key that others can enter into their Desktop App as an Enterprise, so they don't have to deal with the "trial" non-sense?

As far as I can see, for some reason Polycom's business model is: Make everything free for mobile users, but if you want to sit at your computer with a webcam, you gotta pay for the Desktop client.

This seems a little... off. If that's your (Polycom's) business model, sure, you have the right to do that. However, you're not considering the average user or customer's options of easy access and setup; in my opinion this is not only a poor design but terrible business strategy as well. The best companies keep things simple.

If there's a simpler way like an application for Windows that's just for connecting similar to the mobile apps, great, let me know if I overlooked it. Otherwise, what's going on here?

Thank you in advance for any replies you can give. My client will be asking questions of the person who set this up tomorrow to see if even they know. (Though, even that the email only contained instructions for mobile phones, they as well also know that it only works on phones... Which, frustrates my client even further because that seems like the most unprofessional thing ever. Especially when it comes to using it in a business setting like important meetings or court relations, etc.)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm currently assisting in tech support for a client in which he is required to use "Polycom Video" for legal matters. A government court system, or someone who works there, apparently set this up for use and sent my client clear instructions on how to access the session for both the iPhone and Android versions of the app. He is not hosting any sessions, only told the instructions on how to download either of the apps, and to input the number and IP of the host. (Fake Example: 12356@127.0 0.1)

We have not tested it yet, but I assume after you "dial" or type in the correct information, you're connected and then you're all set to video chat. However, my client wants to video chat on the computer, NOT the mobile apps.

So I'm thinking, no problem. I search a bit to find the website, and see there is indeed a Desktop version. However, apparently it's associated with a "trial" regardless of using it for "Enterprise" or "Individual."

Going to "Enterprise" the steps are VERY similar to the steps laid out on the mobile apps. Until the part that says, "Skip server" which is available in the mobile app, but not the Desktop app.

Trying to setup the "Individual" part, requires there to eventually be a Trial purchased. We are simply using this per the instructions of the person who is hosting a room, not planning on creating a room or use any full fledged features.

My questions are:

Why are the mobile apps free to use and clear cut, but the Desktop app suggests a trial?
In the Desktop app, is there a way to skip the "Connect to server" part like in the mobile apps?
Is there a separate app for the Desktop with less or "lite" features, just to connect to a host that lacks a "trial?"
Also, again, why do you have this setup like this? Why provide unrestricted access to "dial" in the Mobile app, but not in the Desktop app? Seems like a poor design choice that frustrates end-users and makes it more difficult for the paying clients who are hosting or setting this up for their business. Which also brings me to ask...
When the person who setup the server / client to connect to paid for this... Does that license key act as a key that others can enter into their Desktop App as an Enterprise, so they don't have to deal with the "trial" non-sense?

As far as I can see, for some reason Polycom's business model is: Make everything free for mobile users, but if you want to sit at your computer with a webcam, you gotta pay for the Desktop client.

This seems a little... off. If that's your (Polycom's) business model, sure, you have the right to do that. However, you're not considering the average user or customer's options of easy access and setup; in my opinion this is not only a poor design but terrible business strategy as well. The best companies keep things simple.

If there's a simpler way like an application for Windows that's just for connecting similar to the mobile apps, great, let me know if I overlooked it. Otherwise, what's going on here?

Thank you in advance for any replies you can give. My client will be asking questions of the person who set this up tomorrow to see if even they know. (Though, given that the email only contained instructions for mobile phones, they as well also know that it only works on phones... Which, frustrates my client even further because that seems like the most unprofessional thing ever. Especially when it comes to using it in a business setting like important meetings or court relations, etc.)

(And, even your forums are hard to manage. Why am I having to utilize the "code" tag to bypass a Spam filter in a glitch you... are aware of and instruct users to use the code tag? What? ...)

HP Recommended

Hello @AuraeTech ,

Your post ended up in the Spam Filter so I moved this here. We use an industry-leading platform like many other large organizations and their spam filter classified your posts as Spam.

I am not sure what triggers this and I am just a volunteer so I cannot answer your question regarding this filter.

The RealPresenceMobile app runs both on phones and tablets which covers both Android and iOS devices.

The RealPresence Desktop software for both Windows or Apple can run in Trial mode and can be used as standalone software.

Due to PCs and Macs most likely using some form of firewall and/or security it is often far more difficult to set this up for an ad-hoc call. Therefore these are geared at enterprise organizations where their IT support can work with end-users.

I hope that explains the type of versions and business models and please let your client work with whoever set this up in regards of the enterprise version as we cannot answer this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.