Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

An interesting one for you. We have had a question pass our way from a Network manager who analysis systems (Netflow) has detected a high bandwidth burst during a call between two HDX 7000 endpoints registered locally to a Cisco VCS-C. The VCS-C takes the signalling but the media flows point-to-point. The call was an H.323 call initiated at 1920kbps (with AES encryption, not that this should matter).

The netflow looks as through it queries and averages traffic analysis every minute or so, and on one of the UDP conversations between the endpoints it has detected that the bandwidth used rose to 50Mbps - well aboive the 2Mbps that should only be used for the call

As I understand the H.323 standard, I don't believe this should not happen and the allocated bandwidth for a call is a "maximum" value. Obviously in the H.320 world (on which H.323 is based), bandwidth is fixed.

The devices are on older firmware (3.0.4) and I have now recommended that they upgrade. The source UDP port was 49158 and the destination port was 49174, which is in the RTP/RTCP range, so will be media flow of some description but I'm not sure if the CDR or system logs will show this level of detail to determine which media channel used which port.

Can anyone offer and ideas? Ware there any known issue on this firmware?

Cheers

Chris

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Not sure how to explain this, especially since the HDX 7000 has a maximum bandwidth capability of 2mbps.  I do not know how it could be detected to use more than that unless it was hosting a MP call, then it can get up to 4mpbs.

HP Recommended

Indeed, I don't understand.

However, even weirder, we may have seen something similar to this, but this time on a different network and different equipment (possibly involving a Cisco C40). However, the network analysis for this network is not as sophisticated and as such were were unable to determine if the burst traffic was to do with the CODEC or another device. However, I have seen another users report on the Cisco forum report potentially another similar issue.

The only analysis that seem to point directly to the CODEC causing a problem is in this case with the HDXs, however, it is all really odd and I do not know how to explain it.

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.