Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
This has been going on for a while. We upgraded the firmware last Jan/Feb. Thought that resolved it, but I can't login again. I've power cycled the units routers, modems... I do not want to do a factory reset every time these units lose their mind. Reset dumps everything, reverts to the 14-character serial# password, and reverts to the factory firmware... Please advise.
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Buddy,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

What is the current software version of the HDX and what serial does it have?

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
The current software is whatever was available last January February. I can't tell you precisely what it is because I cannot log into the unit, which is the reason for this post to begin with. Why does the serial number matter? I have more than one unit they're both exhibiting the same behavior.
HP Recommended

Hello Buddy,

I wanted to know the serial number so I can look up the entitlement for this codec and also to point out a Polycom reseller that should support you on a Tier 1.

The firmware could be a 3.0.x or a 3.1.x or even older.

The codec would not reset itself other than as an example losing the network. If that happens it tries 3 times and then factory restores itself.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

There are 2:  881127112493CG  and  820821009EF98CG

Firmware is likely one of these, installed last January:

polycom-hdx-release-3.1.8-49137
  or
polycom-hdx-release-3.1.9-50041

What do you mean by "losing the network"?  Loss of Internet access, loss of Ethernet connection, or loss of SIP Registrar? 

Are you saying that after 3 retries the units automatically perform a factory reset, dumping ALL settings, returning to the 14-character serial# password, and reverting to the factory installed firmware???  Please tell me that's not the case.

I can remotely access these units, but I cannot log in to them, and the default serial# does not work as the password.

PS.  Could it be caused by something as dumb as a failing CMOS battery?

HP Recommended

Hello?  I provided the requested information.  I'm dead in the water here... I also submitted a service request, but was told the units are out of warranty and aren't under a service contract, so no help for me.  

HP Recommended

Hello Buddy,

I had already replied that if the unit as an example loses DHCP or a DNS or NTP it will try and restart 3 times.

If after that period the issue still is there then it will reset to Out of Box / OOB state.

We would need the logs of the unit and a Pay Per Incident ticket / PPI as the units where sold back in 2011 and are not in warranty or any service contract.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Actually you made no mention of DHCP or DNS or NTP anywhere here, so perhaps you're thinking of someone else.  Did you really mean "OR" -- as in the loss of any one of those things will cause a reset?  And maybe I'm mising something, but WHY on Earth would you purposely devise a system to dump itself back to Out of Box state just because there's a network outage???  Internet outages are a fact of life, which suggests that every time we lose Internet, the Polycom units reset themselves...  Clearly it's not a complete reset, because these units retained their IP address configurations, I can still get to them over the Internet, I just can't log in to them.  

Also, last I checked this is a "community forum" where "The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other" without a service contract  or payment per incident.  Guess not... 

HP Recommended

Hello Buddy,

you can post anything within this community and everyone can answer you. Nobody else has done so far.

In my role as a Polycom employee I did this and outlined the possibility to support you and analyze your logs from a Polycom support perspective. I did this in my free time as I simply volunteer within this community.

I do not know what state this codec's where in when the OOB happened. I am not sure if they where powered off and the powered on or anything. Without you supplying the logs there is not much that we can do.

The frequency of you posting and claiming you are "dead in the water" triggered me to tell you what the official ways of escalating this are.

We, just like any other professional service organisation, help our customers. If you are within warranty its free and if not you can always take out a service contract or pay per incident. 

The only other option is to wait for other community members to respond.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.