Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I have issues with sound quality for like 3 months now. And I am starting to feel desperate as I have been searching for a solution for that same time. I updated my windows 10 laptop to windows 11 only to discover the issue persists.

I just figured out sound quality of sound depends on which microphone is selected. When I use the poly mic it offers 1 channel sound quality.

When I switch to a different mic, the sound quality goes to 2 channels and quality improves drastically.

What also happens is in settings that quality may switch between these 2.

How to fix this properly?

I can add all kind of screenshots if needed. Language will be in Dutch, but I can try to help translate.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

No, I can't say my mic quality is bad. I have tested this as a voice recording (windows standard app) to hear how it sounds. I never had complaints.

For me it is audio playback. While I don't use the poly 20 microphone atm. I am hoping for a fix.

HP Recommended

Hello @Upbeat  and @bhayduko ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

Both the communities Must Read First or Read 1st and if available the FAQ reference the basic minimum information a new or follow-up post should contain.

This ensures the questions having to be asked are limited and any new or follow up post contains the right amount of details to ensure any voluntary participant within the community does not spend additional time chasing basic information.

Unfortunately, your post fell a bit short of the above-explained requirements and we kindly ask you, therefore, to ensure to read these sections and ensure a reply (not Edit!) provides as much detail as possible

Please ensure you familiarise yourself with the FAQs listed in my signature for your convenience.

Reporting issues within the community will not get these addressed. If you find an issue please report this via our official support organization.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I added 3 screenshots.

- Settings-sound1 : The overview of my available devices. Found in Settings -> Sound.

When I go to this screen, the audio is mono (1channel) and bass is abscent.

- Settings-sound-properties1 : Screenshot of the microphone properties. As shown, there is only 1 channel available. And output is then caused due to this setting.

- Settings-sound-properties2 : Screenshot of the output properties. As shown, there is only 1 option; 2 channels. When I go to this screen, the sound quality is improved to 2 channels and bass is present.

I added some translation to the screen as my win11 is Dutch.

HP Recommended

The SN of the Poly 20 sync (USB-A) ; EE2WCJ

What I have done;

The issue started with Windows 10. I have update the firmware of the Poly 20.

I have update all the sound related drivers in Win10. I have update Win10 to the latest. No success. Then I tried to upgrade to win11 to see if this would fix it.

I have tried to connect the device to different usb ports directly on my laptop. No success.

In win11 it became clear it has something to do with the microphone being active. See screenshots, in the post above.

The issue is basically the sound quality changes to 1 channel/mono/no bass. While I expect to hear 2 channel/stereo/bass. I can enable high quality sound by going to settings-> sound-> properties of the output device. When I go back to the main screen of settings -> sound it goes to a low quality sound. When I switch microphone to a diffent mic, the issue is not present (workaround). But I did not buy a speakerphone device to not use the microphone. I could have bought a sonos or similar if I just wanted high quality audio.

@SteffenBaierUK is this info sufficient + the screenshots added?

HP Recommended

Hello @Upbeat ,

As stated already this needs to come into our support organisation. The community forum is not a support forum. We are all volunteers here and try and help.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Can cofirm. Repeatable results with new Poly Sync 20 connected to Asus Laptop via USB-A. I can only assume when the MIC for the Sync 20 is selected the quality must drop to perform echo cancellation. I am hopeful im wrong and there is a way to make this device work as I had intended, i.e. Music, interrupted with Teams calls using the MIC and Speaker from the Sync 20. If I cant sus out a solution on the interwebs I will open a support ticket and report back.

HP Recommended

Resolved. After installing the Poly Desktop software, updating the software on the Sync 20-M and rebooting I can enable the MIC on the Sync 20 and the speaker stays at 2 channel 16bit. This is on Win 11 btw. 

HP Recommended

I observe the exact same problem of the OP after upgrading my laptop from Win 10 to Win 11 yesterday.
Impossible to obtain proper sound quality on the Poly 20 when both mic + speaker are enabled in Windows Sound settings.
This worked fine under Win 10 and now renders the Poly 20 useless under Win 11.
When you deselect the Poly 20 mic in Sound settings, the Poly 20 speaker will work fine and proper 2-channel quality. The moment you toggle the Poly 20 mic on in Sound settings, the sound drops down to useless quality. It still shows "2-channel" in Sound settings for the speaker, but it is factually not the case.
This behavior happens whether you connect Poly 20 directly on a USB A port (doesn't matter which one) or via the BT-600 over BT.

It appears that a driver update is required from Poly for Win 11, since no other option seems available?

HP Recommended

this is my driver version as per Windows settings.
and I cannot get the speaker to work properly in full sound quality when the Poly 20 mic is also selected. Only an alternate non-Poly20 mic will produce proper speaker sound

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.