Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I would like to check if my universal module is working correctly.  So, I wanted to know the voltage on the eight wires inside the console cable (the "ethernet" cable which plugs in the RJ45 sockets).

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello FMadm,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I am quite sure we do not provide this information as the Power supply itself is a safety component and are considered to be non-repairable, especially non-repairable by a customer.

In addition you mention the term Ethernet cable.

It is of utter importance not to use a standard ethernet cable as the originally supplied cable has an extra safety measure on the actual plugs preventing the cable to be plugged into a Network port.

I suggest you work with your Polycom reseller on purchasing a replacement module if it no longer powers your SoundStation 2.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

Please don't get too sensitive 🙂  I'm not going to repair anything.

To make a long story short, I have recently found that several electronic devices (not only limited to Polycom products) behaved strangely.  They ARE powered on, but behaved strangely.

Finally, I found their power supplies provide a voltage value a lot higher than indicated, eg 19V instead of 12V, etc.

So I'm doing a sort of routine inspection to everything, or a prevention if you like, and change defected power supplies if needed before the problem is going too worse.

I have already found some readings but I just had no idea what ranges of voltage they are supposed to be.

About the "Ethernet cable", don't worry, I have no intention to use it as normal cable elsewhere other than for our SoundStations.  You said that it "has an extra safety measure on the actual plugs preventing the cable to be plugged into a Network port", I don't know, I have never tried.  Is it true?  Or did you say so just to frighten customers off to make sure they won't do things you don't like?

You know what, we hate dishonest providers or providers which consider their customers stupid guys.  If we found you are lying, we will leave.

HP Recommended

Hello FMadm,

I am unsure what you are instigating but if you use the originally supplied cable you will not be able to plug this into a regular RJ45 socket or a PC network port as it hosts an extra "nose" on the side of the plugs.

This is to prevent damage to a PC Network card or PC port.

Please feel free to test this.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

You are unsure because you did not read my first message carefully.  I said "I wanted to know the voltage on the eight wires inside the console cable" but then you started to think a lot of things other than the obvious question.

I did not write I'm plugging it into our network.  You said it.

There's a thing called "multimeter", you know.  I can test the voltage on the wires of the console cable in order to check voltage output from the module.  This is the "investigation".

Is it clearer now?

HP Recommended

Hello FMadm,

hopefully below clears up all questions:

1. We do not provide this information as the Power supply itself is a safety component and are considered to be non-repairable, especially non-repairable by a customer.

We Polycom, do not disclose the details for any voltages or Pin Out's

2. It is of utter importance not to use a standard ethernet cable as the originally supplied cable has an extra safety measure on the actual plugs preventing the cable to be plugged into a Network port.

We Polycom, do advise to only use the originally supplied cable as you will not be able to plug this into a regular RJ45 socket or a PC network port as it hosts an extra "nose" on the side of the plugs

This is to prevent damage to a PC Network card or PC port.

I hope above ensures yourself that the Polycom cable supplied is a special cable and set's the correct expectations that we do not share any wiring or electrical details.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

I don't know about other ones, but the NorStar power adaptor has electronic circuits besides just a power supply.

The supply voltage through the cable is before the regulator, (which is in the phone) so the actual voltage

doesn't matter so much.  The regulator in the power module outputs 12V, so the input should be somewhat

higher than that.  (That is to power the circuits in the power module.)

Buy a used module if you need to replace one.

I think you confused them mentioning ethernet. Not all RJ45 cables are ethernet.

The cable is wired straight through, though.

HP Recommended

Many power supplies output a higher voltage unloaded.

But 19V is about right for the input to a 12V regulator. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.