Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi All

We have deployed a significant number of SoundsStation2 devices around our newly refurbished head office building here at Manchester Airport.  The meeting rooms where these are located have new furniture with these units in the desk tops http://bit.ly/zGsD49

The Wall Modules are secured to the underside of the desk and the rj45 link between the components connects through the Extron box and works a treat.

Issues have arisen, however, when staff disconnect the SoundStation2, to make more room on the desk leaving the rj45 socket on the top of the Extron open.  On seven occasions unsuspecting users have come into the meeting rooms and, looking for network access, have plugged their LAN NICs into the socket designated for the SoundStation2.  The power delivered from the Wall Module has then fried the NIC.  This is despite our labeling the ports as clearly as we can (I'm glad to say this hasn't happened to a visitor yet!)

Therefore, I would like to change the connection between the phone and the desk box to something like an rj11 so the errant users cannot attempt to connect their laptops.

My issue is, I do not know the pin allocation within the cable so do not know if the six wires in an rj11 would be sufficient and also, what connections do we need to make between the 8 wires in the rj45 and the six in the rj11.

Any assistance or alternative suggestions to prevent further occurances would be appreciated.  I want to avoid putting a great big sign in the meeting rooms, I believe making the connections for LAN & phone different is preferable.

Thanks, in anticipation of your assistance

Neill

Network Support Team Leader

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Neils,

the Polycom Cable (2457-00449-001) has a special "nose" so it prevents User plugging this into a NIC Card or a VoIP Phone.

All 8 Pins are used so you cannot utilize a RJ11 Plug instead.

You will have to utilize more drastic actions on Site or run the original cable and not utilize the built in socket.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your reply. 

Back to the drawing board for us, then

Cheers

Neill

HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

The Polycom Cable (2457-00449-001) has a special "nose" so it prevents User plugging this into a NIC Card or a VoIP Phone.

==> We have an Polycom Soundstation, please note that it is NOT SoundStation2. We found its RJ45 cable plug has no special "nose", and can easily plug into PC NIC card connector!

==> Would you please clarify when Polycom change the design of the RJ45 cable plugs? Whether Polycom has received the silimilar issue then changed the RJ45 plug design?

==> I also can not find any waring message to remind end user not plug this cable into PC NIC card connector! I believe Polycom has sold many SoundStations with Old RJ45 plug cable, how Polycom can remind the end user not plug this cable into PC NIC card conenctor?

Thanks for your attention!

Tomguo

HP Recommended

Hello Tomguo,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

We are talking about one specific product and one specific cable in this discussion.

I am not aware what SoundStation Product you are using. It may be an IP based product which would utilize a normal Ethernet cable.

Please liaise with your Polycom reseller if you have any technical questions.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.