Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

VVX 411s on 5.9.0.9373 firmware

BToE v4.3 client on Windows 10 PCs using Teams.  We applied 4.3 so Teams would recognize the paired Poly as an audio device, which is great having just migrated from SfB to Teams company-wide.

Issue: User joins a Teams meeting and sees participants in Teams.  Audio is on another phone across the office.  Suspected BToE might be paired with the phone playing audio.  Remoted into her PC and checked the BToE client and it was paired, showing the IP of the other phone across the office.

Found that the user's docking station network cable was disconnected, not plugged into the 411s PC port.  Laptop was connected over wireless.  I restarted the BToE client several times and it paired to the rogue 411 every time.  The rogue 411 had no laptop connected at that desk and was signed in with another user's credentials.

Corrected the problem by having the user connect the docking station to her 411 PC port.  Restarted BToE client on her laptop and phone paired to the 411 on her desk.  Her problem solved.

Later today, I went back to document the details and now the original rogue 411 had paired to yet another laptop in the office, all while still signed in as another user.  I've emailed the latest user to check her cables but she has left for the day.

Question #1:  If there's no wired ethernet connection to a Poly phone, does BToE search the network and attach to the first phone it finds?

Question #2: other than the obvious of correctly connecting the cables, how do we prevent this behavior? 

Question #3:  What prevents the BToE client from randomly connecting to phones when a user takes their laptop to another office and connects to wifi? All of our offices are equipped with 411s.

We have similar symptoms in 2 other offices but this is the first where I've been able to nail down the issue.  

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @PASSR ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

First of all, you are on an unsupported version as the phone should be running UC Software 5.9.6 instead.

Secondly, the only reason I would know from experience this would happen is:

• Someone in your organisation plugged the PC port of the phone back into a switch port and therefore broadcasts all the BToE Traffic into your network
    or
  • Someone has powered the phone via an external PSU and plugged the switch port into the PC port

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @PASSR ,

Welcome to the Poly Community.

First of all, you are on an unsupported version as the phone should be running UC Software 5.9.6 instead.

Secondly, the only reason I would know from experience this would happen is:

• Someone in your organisation plugged the PC port of the phone back into a switch port and therefore broadcasts all the BToE Traffic into your network
    or
  • Someone has powered the phone via an external PSU and plugged the switch port into the PC port

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Steffen.  I'll plan the firmware upgrade on the 411s.  We've been working closely with Poly during our Teams transition and this is the first 5.9.6 has been suggested.  We're currently testing 6.3.0.14929 pushed to specific sites via PDMS Site profiles.

I'm sure the cables are reversed on the 411 that keeps pairing to other laptops in the office.  It's a remote site so I'm working with a local user this morning to check the cables. The 411 was paired to yet a 3rd laptop this morning.

Your scenario makes perfect sense.  The phone only broadcasts the discovery packet on the PC port so if it's correctly connected to a PC it pairs.  If the PC port is connected to nothing, the 411 is not "discovered".  If the PC port is connected to the switch, it's broadcasting discovery packets across the network and any BToE client on the same network can pair with it.

Thanks for helping me see the distinction that discovery packets broadcast only thru the PC port!  I've read many times and seen the situation myself where the reversed cables cause issues but your explanation clarifies the "why".  I had assumed the phone acted as a switch and altered network traffic in the reversed cable setup but that's not it at all.

I'll post back when we've verified and corrected the reversed cables.

HP Recommended

You were right.  The phone that kept pairing with random BToE clients had the cables reversed.  The user had returned to the office after an extended work form home and not connected correctly.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.