Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

One user is having some troubles. When his surface 4 is docked, btoe works fine, and Skype4B is paired with a vvx410.

Once undocked, Surface goes to wifi mode, but vvx keeps paired. And vvx takes the call when users clicks on answer on the surface.

I thought vvx has to be cabled between computer and network as a prerequisite for btoe. So what is happening here ?

Thanks

N

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello diardnic,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It is always useful to include the currently usedUC Software version as issues experienced or a question asked may already be addressed in a newer release.  Please also include the BToE Version.

This also allows yourself and others to check against current software release notes, Administrator Guides or FAQ post’s.

The above is also stated in the "Read First"

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP or UC Software Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Phone: VVX 601
Power:  POE via 500W Switch
UC Version: 5.4.1.17954

I understand that you need to connect your PC and the VVX 601 via an ethernet cable to pair them, and enable BTOE.

Then I understand that you can disconnect the ethernet cord, once connected, and BTOE will still work, after the initial pairing is successful.

The question I have is how am I suppossed to pair the VVX 601 to my PC when the phone requires POE to turn on.  My Surface Book or Dell Desktop cannot provide POE to the phone.  Do I need to purchase a 42V POE injector or special power adapter just to do the initial pairing and then I can run the phone via POE again?

Thanks very much.

HP Recommended

Hello NisiInc,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

You may miss understand the usage of BToE.

Any Polycom VVX Business Media Phone needs to be connected to a PoE Switch or use its own power supply whilst maintaining its own Ethernet connection to a switch.

The PC running BToE is just there to sync the credentials and utilize the phone as the Audio Device of the LYNC / Skype for Business Client.

You can click on a contact on the PC within the LYNC / Skype for Business Client and the phone will dial this.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen, 

I want to be able to control the VXX 601 from within Skype for Business. 

I looked at the Desktop Connector, but that appears to not support the 601.

Is that correct?

So I looked at BTOE.  The challenge is that most PCs (Surface Pro 3/4, Surface Book, Dell Desktops, Lenovo Laptops) all only have 1 Ethernet port.  That Ethernet port is used by a 1Gbe or 10Gbe connection to the network for productivity.  How do i connect the 601 to the PC over ethernet (directly) if the single PC ethernet port is already in use?  Will the VVX 601 and PC be able to connect via BTOE through a switch?  

I can't imagine you suggesting that i connect the PC to the VVX 601 and all network traffic has to pass through the phone before it hits the PC.  That's not a viable or manageable enterprise solution.

Thanks for the additional insights.

HP Recommended

Hello NisiInc,

The VVX601 has a 1GB Ethernet Switch build in and the "normal" procedure would be having the cable from the floor aka your core switch go into the VVX and then plug a connected PC or laptop into the phone.

The above is the standard procedure and is a viable and manageable solution used by millions of customers around the world.

The Phone is then able to send Discovery packages to the connected PC so BToE installed on the PC can discover and connect.

There is currently no support to connect BToE via a network and we do not discuss unreleased products within the community.

Again the Skype for Business client simply uses the Phone to make a phone call. There are no other "options" to control the phone via the Skype for Business client in any way or form.

If this is for a larger roll out please work with a Polycom reseller or Polycom SE.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Are there different options with the VVX 600?  (versus the VVX 601)

If we rolled out the VVX 600, would we be able to use/control the phone from the Skyp For Business Client without having to use the ethernet switch on the phone?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello NisiInc,

All the compatible VVX phones behave the same.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.