Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

My customer is planning to change its redundant CMA 5.4 IP and virtual IP addresses (new subnet). What is the correct procedure for that as it's not documented anywhere in polycom support Web Site? Do I need to discontinue redundancy before changing servers IP addresses and re-enable it once done or can I do it using the following procedure?

- Backup CMA config,

- Switch to secondary server,

- Update secondary server IP address in server and redundancy settings,

- Restart secondary server

- Update primary server IP address in server and redundancy settings

- Update redundancy virtual ip address in redundancy settings.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Freha,

It is a bit more complicated than what you mention because the IP addresses are stored in the Readimanager database. This is how the CMA servers know which server should be the primary server.

I would only add the following to the beginning of your process.

* On the Primary CMA, uncheck use external SQL database and restart

* the VIP will failover to the secondary

* Change the IP addresses of each of the CMA servers

* Shutdown the Redundant CMA

* On the Primary, select use External SQL database and restart

* On the Primary, go to the Redundancy page and add the VIP

* If the table is not correct, you may have to hit the reset redundancy button

* Start the Redundant CMA

If you run into any issues, turn off both servers and only operate on only 1 of the CMAs at a time powered on. The other should be powered off. You may have to reset the redundancy button until you can work out the sequenece correctly. Just remember from the Highlander films, there can only be one (turned on) and you should do fine.

S.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick answer Simons,

I just need to confirmations before testing this procedure in lab.

- At step 4 (Change the IP addresses of the CMA servers), the servers will ask me to reboot. I don't need to restart them, I'm I right ?

- At steps 7 and 8, there isn't any risk that re-enabling or resetting redundancy settings could "erase" the database content for endpoints, gatekeeper config... Could you please confirm ?

Thanks again.

Freha

HP Recommended

Correct, whenever you change the IP address or external DB access, the CMA will have to be restarted (which is done by giving you a prompt) automatically.

Resetting the redundancy information only refers to the table in the Readimanger database which stores the IP addresses which you see in the web GUI. The rest of the data is unaffected by this operation.

Of course I would still do a backup of the databases just in case. 🙂

S.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.