Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

CMA 5000 Server

Version 6.0.1

I am getting "AM Master Service Failed to Start - reason: Unable to connect to the Database"

So in trying to debug this I was attempting to get serial console so that I can ping, etc. the db server.

I connected to the serial port using the serial cable that comes with the CMA server and using parameters

19200,8,n,1

However I see no messages.  I reboot and still see no messages.

How to get serial console access?

Or is there a better way to debug what is going on?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is quite unbelievable that if the SQL server is causing issues, there is no way to get to the box for diagnostic purposes.  

Both redundant CMA servers are experiencing this problem, so I am sure nothing is wrong with the CMA server. 

To re-image it would frankly be a waste of time.  

I have looked at SQL Server log messages, and did a TCPDUMP off the ports, but still have not tracked down exactly what the problem is.

I know I will, so there is no need to respond to this post.

However, I would like a product change for CMA server.

There needs to be a way to get console or desktop access to be able to debug this kind of problem.

If nothing else, the web interface should come up, regardless of whether it can connect to the remote db and provide rudimentary debugging capabilities.

Ping, telnet, traceroute, etc.

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Serial console access is no longer available in CMA v6.

Your best best is to reimage using the CMA v6 DVD and apply the latest patches to your system, v6.0.1 and some other patch.

S.

HP Recommended

It is quite unbelievable that if the SQL server is causing issues, there is no way to get to the box for diagnostic purposes.  

Both redundant CMA servers are experiencing this problem, so I am sure nothing is wrong with the CMA server. 

To re-image it would frankly be a waste of time.  

I have looked at SQL Server log messages, and did a TCPDUMP off the ports, but still have not tracked down exactly what the problem is.

I know I will, so there is no need to respond to this post.

However, I would like a product change for CMA server.

There needs to be a way to get console or desktop access to be able to debug this kind of problem.

If nothing else, the web interface should come up, regardless of whether it can connect to the remote db and provide rudimentary debugging capabilities.

Ping, telnet, traceroute, etc.

Thanks

HP Recommended

How about connecting by RDP together with Support staff of Polycom to analyze the Problem? That would be my first task.....

HP Recommended

Alex,

Thanks for the input.  That is what I ultimately did. But getting the user password is difficult at best. 

I solved the issue, but Polycom needs to give a way to debug these kinds of issues.

Serial console, ssh, rdc.  I don't really care how, but some method..

HP Recommended

I know this what we are also attempting all the time, but currently without success. Maybe a feature request would help. Will think about it.

HP Recommended

Hello MEDRT - I have the same problem.  Both 5000's say 'Master Service failed to start-Unable to connect to database'.  I know why, the DBA P-to-V'd the SQL serverand changed the IP address.  How can I repoint the CMA at the correct IP address?  It's Sunday so I can't get to PLCM support through my third party service.  I will in the morning, but if you can let me know anything today I can get it donebefore production hours.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

You will have to get windows console/rdp access.  There is a default password, but it is not documented.  

HP Recommended

I do have that password and I have console access, what's next?  I would like to change the DB at the new SQL server's IP address.

HP Recommended

DD,

If you have v5.x, then you can use the serail console access to reset to factory defaults which will give you access in order to point to the new external SQL server IP address. In v6, you are out of luck and are left with a reimage. You data is still fine as it resides in the external DB.

On a side note, I agree with everything posted above. If more folks would voice their concern with this process, then Product Management would finally have to pay attention to the needs of the customers.

S.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.