Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Good Morning,

In our Polycom system, we have Resource Manager, DMA, RPAD, Capture Server, CloudAxis, Platform Director, all of them VE, and RMX 1500. 

According to the attachment licenses.png the number of Resource Manager licenses is 100, and the number of license in use is 34. What is the meaning of this "license in use" term because as it can be seen in the online.png the number of online users is 17, and in the offline.png it can be seen that we had 57 offline users?

Another question I have is regarding those 100 licenses.

Which is the correct assumption:

1. We can create more than 100 users, more than 100 can be online, but only maximum of 100 can participate in different kinds of videoconference (point-to-point or multipoint);

or

2. We can create more than 100 users, but only 100 can be online, doesn't matter if they are participating or not in conferences.

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Iulian

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello ibucur,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

As an example from Polycom® RealPresence® Resource Manager System Operations guide the page 338:

Reclaim Polycom CMA Desktop and RealPresence Software Client Licenses Polycom RealPresence Desktop, RealPresence Mobile and CMA Desktop clients do not release licenses automatically when they are not in use. You can reclaim software client licenses by setting a reclaim threshold. To reclaim licenses more quickly, lower the threshold. Set the threshold to zero to stop reclaiming licenses. The threshold time limit is measured in days. However, unlicensed software endpoints are kept in the system until the total number of soft endpoints (licensed and unlicensed) exceeds 90 percent of four times the number of allowed licenses. This allows software endpoints to remain in the RealPresence Resource Manager system, retain their dialstring reservations, and to be scheduled into conferences. For example, if you have purchased a license for 500 endpoints, you can keep up to 90 percent of four times 500, or 1800 total endpoints (software and hardware) in the system at one time. While only 500 of those endpoints will be licensed, unlicensed software endpoints will remain associated with user dial strings so that the user can still be scheduled into conferences and remains in the system if the user wants to use the software endpoint at any time. The RealPresence Resource Manager system automatically deletes unlicensed software endpoints when the 90 percent of four times the number of allowed licenses is reached. It started deleting software endpoints based on number of days of inactivity, starting with the most number of days.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Dear Steffen,

Thank you for your response, but I kindly ask you for more details, because the explanation from the book seems to be a little bit difficult for me:

What is the meaning of "they are not in use"? Are not online or are not participating in a conference?

So I understand the following: When a RPD/RPM does not use the system,  the system still "see" that RPD/RPM using a license. Is this corect? 

In my system the treshold is set to 1, as it can be seen in the attachment.

"Set the threshold to zero to stop reclaiming licenses" - this means that if is set to zero the unused licenses will not be released?

The limit is measured in days - 1 means 1 day, 10 means 10 days until the unused licenses will be released?

What is the meaning of "soft endpoints"? RPD and RPM?

So I can understand this: I have 100 licenses. So I can have  a maximum 360 users online at the same time and they can participate in conferences point to point or multipoint (depending on the RMX capabilities)?

It will help me very much if is posibble to receive answers at each question, to better understand the Polycom system 🙂 

Thank you very much for your support,

Best regards,

Iulian

HP Recommended

Resource Manager is licensed on a "per seat" basis. What that means is that once a device is registered to Resource Manager a license is used. Devices that are offline but are still registered consume a license. Basically, if you can see a device in Endpoint Monitor View it is consuming a license.

The Reclaim Inactive Licenses interval is measured in days and applies to software endpoints only; i.e. Real Presence Desktop, Real Presence Mobile and CMA Desktop. As far as licensing is concerned, these software endpoints are handled differently. You can have 90% of four times your license limit registered to the Resource Manager. For example, you have a license limit of 100 devices. You can have 90% of 4 times 100 or 360 software devices registered to the RM before you exceed your license limit. Hardware devices, i.e. HDX, Group Series, etc., are handled differently. As long as the device is powered on and registered to the RM it will consume a license. Once the device is powered off the license is released.

I hope this helps answer your question.

HP Recommended

Thank you for you answer, I really appreciate if is possible to answer to the questions I have,

Best regards,

Iulian

HP Recommended

We have 100 lics, and only 50 endpoints registered, but in home screen view, it shows that we have 89 lics used. where are extra 39 lics have gone? please help. we have looked over and restarted and nothing...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.