Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

As I understand, the Voyager B8200 headset has 2 modes.
Talk (on a zoom call) where the mute button sets to mute on/off, and
Streaming (no call, just listening to audio) where the mute button sets to open mic on/off

When I am on my desktop, there is no problem. It stays in "streaming mode", unless I open the sound setting tab (it detects as listening to the mic), or start a call with someone (zoom, or any voice app). When I end my call, it drops back to "streaming mode" after a few seconds.

However, on my laptop (same dongle), it seems to default to "Talk mode" unless I am constantly playing music. I am able to get it into streaming mode only by doing this:

1. Play music
  2. Sound setting menu or start a zoom call
  3. Close windows sound menu / end zoom call
  4. Wait 5 seconds (it switches to "streaming mode")
  5. As long as music it playing, it stays in "streaming mode"
  6. Stop playing music
  7. Wait 20 seconds (it switches to "talk mode" and is stuck there until I repeat from 1.)

What the heck is happening, and how do I fix it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Grifta

Welcome back to the Poly community. 

The Headset automatically detects if any active call is going on / microphone is being used and switches to mute / unmute function. 

When the headset is in idle state, this button serves as a toggle for open mic. 

To ensure that the button serves its open mic function correctly,  there should not be any active call / meeting going around. 

Also, please check if your Laptop has Intel smart sound for USB audio driver installed. 

To check this, Open device manager ( Press and hold windows and X key )  > Sound video and games controllers > Search for Intel smart sound for USB audio

If Intel smart sound for USB audio is installed, please disable it, restart your PC and then try to reproduce the issue. 

Regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @Grifta

Welcome back to the Poly community. 

The Headset automatically detects if any active call is going on / microphone is being used and switches to mute / unmute function. 

When the headset is in idle state, this button serves as a toggle for open mic. 

To ensure that the button serves its open mic function correctly,  there should not be any active call / meeting going around. 

Also, please check if your Laptop has Intel smart sound for USB audio driver installed. 

To check this, Open device manager ( Press and hold windows and X key )  > Sound video and games controllers > Search for Intel smart sound for USB audio

If Intel smart sound for USB audio is installed, please disable it, restart your PC and then try to reproduce the issue. 

Regards,

HP Recommended

Fantastic! That worked, thank you.

If this isn't already in a FAQ somewhere, then I would suggest adding it if this is something that Windows is now automatically enabling on new installations.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.