Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

After installing the Poly desktop app and updating all drivers, I'm getting behavior where every single program that uses audio in any way freezes. Like...opening the audio settings panel in Windows freezes all settings panels in Windows. Trying to join a Google Hangouts meeting hangs Chrome. As soon as I disconnect the headset, whether by unplugging the USB hub or even trying it via cable, all the actions I tried to do happen all at once, and everything unfreezes.

How can I fix this? This is absolutely untenable as a headset if this can't be fixed. I've tried factory resetting the headset twice and nothing helps.

Software Version: 0.0.644.3576

SetId Version: 0.0.644.3576
Wireless USB: 0.0.315.2299

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

I have this same problem.  Teams, WebEx, and audio in a browser work eventually, but there is a 3-5 minute delay. The Sound Settings applet won't open if the headset is connected, and no amount of driver and firmware updates have made a positive change.

HP Recommended

Hello @logodaedalus 

This requires further investigation.

Hence I would suggest you open a support ticket with Poly.

HP Recommended

I was able to fix the problem by going into Device Manager and disabling all my audio devices except for Poly BT700 and Realtek(R) Audio (my laptop speakers) <pic attached>. I tried uninstalling the Bose drivers from a failed earlier headset, but every time I connected my Poly it would reinstall and reactivate those drivers...weird! But as long as I just keep them disabled, it seems now everything is working correctly. If other people run into this problem, I'd recommend auditing your sound drivers and disabling unnecessary ones until the problem goes away.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

I have tried to resync the headphones with the BT dongle, reinstall all the audio drivers but nothing works. I was not able to find the BT dongle firmware to try to re-flash it nor downgrade it to the previous version, where everything seemed to be working fine.

The only way to use the headphones is to use a cable (even then the audio sometimes crashes and I need to reconnect the call/restart the audio application to make it work again).

HP Recommended

Hello @User1687952 

Welcome back to the Poly Community. 

Audio (Transmit and/or Receive) is degraded or lost when using a USB audio enable product on PCs that include Intel ® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)

Poly is working with Intel with the expectation that Intel will provide a driver update to their customer base.

Can you please try to disable Intel Smart sound for USB audio driver and see if that helps in improving the situation? 

Step 1) Open Device Manager ( To open Device Manager , use the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + X

Step 2)  Now scroll Down and Find 'Sound Video and games Controllers > Expand it
Step 3) Find  Intel® Smart Sound Technology for USB Audio

Step 4) Right Click > Select "Disable Device"

Step 5) restart your PC and then try to reproduce the issue. 

If the issue persists, please raise a ticket with our support team for further investigation. 

Regards,

HP Recommended

This solution is a no go for me! I use my headphone on my client laptop and I will not be able to make admin level changes to the system nor can i update any intel drivers.

Hence, until there is a software fix to the headphone firmware it will be rendered useless for me.

HP Recommended

I am also experiencing the same issue. Everything worked fine a month ago.

Whenever I plug in the USB dongle, all of my audio programs freeze. I cannot even get the headset into pairing mode while the dongle is attached. The only way to continue is to unplug the dongle.

I've swapped out the new headset under warranty but that hasn't made a difference. Perhaps I shouldn't have upgraded the USB dongle and headset to the latest firmware immediately after opening the box. My windows laptop has "Intel ® Smart Sound Technology (Intel® SST)" so maybe that's the culprit, based on other replies.

I hope this issue gets resolved soon as my expensive headset is currently rendered useless.

Headset Firmware: v0.0.787.4266
USB Dongle Firmware: v0.0.550.3389

HP Recommended

First of all: thanks for sharing. At least it's possible to have BT working this way.

Second: That's not a solution, only a workaround. I'm expecting to getting a real solution soon.

Meanwhile I created a little oneliner to deactivate all Intel Smart Sound devices (deployable with GPO, software deployment, ...).

The Powershell command just searches for all Plug and Play devices with the string "Intel® Smart Sound Technolog*USB-Audio" and disables them without confirmation.

There you go:

Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName "Intel® Smart Sound Technolog*USB-Audio" | Disable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false

To reenable the devices, just run the following command:

Get-PnpDevice -FriendlyName "Intel® Smart Sound Technolog*USB-Audio" | Enable-PnpDevice -Confirm:$false

HP Recommended

Are their any news regarding a firmware fix. I do have the same problems and is very annoying. The workaround will take some time until our IT department might implement this.
The headset becomes really useless in that state.
Is there any release date planned for the fix?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.